From the stand

Well this morning I was out at first light in a new area that I scouted last week. As I walked in on the flats, about a quarter mile from the truck I came across some very recent tracks that looked like a good size buck chasing a doe around. I followed the tracks into some oaks and where it opened up again on the far side, kept in cover as I looked around. The trouble was that the tracks led downwind. I called from cover but got no response. I continued on, still-hunting up the canyon, scrolling the rim of the wash from time to time when tracks crossed the main path. There were a lot of fresh tracks, but I didn't see any deer. I went up to the spring, but found very little sign in the immediate area. They don't appear to be using it at the moment. On the way back to the truck, near where I'd seen those first tracks, I saw a lone deer. It was probably a buck by the size of its neck, but if he had a rack, it was no more than spikes. He'd seen me first and moved off before I could do more than range him at 87 yards. I gave him a couple minutes, then went after him. But he was long gone. All in all it was a pleasant morning, though I confess a little more violence would have suited me better.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419197777.628688.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419197777.628688.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419198010.946827.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419198010.946827.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 48
ilovesprig said:
Don,

Great pic of that buck track.............Love it!
Here's another from farther up in the canyon. Different buck. They're in there, but I'm running out of time. Stand hunt will be the ticket next time. After the season, I'll get some trail cams up.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419200745.827440.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419200745.827440.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 42
Invisible man said:
Good sign. And of course you rubbed the tracks out with your boot so no one else would see them right? ;D
Dang! Still have so much to learn!

Quiet this am. Sunny but cold. Shoulda brought more woolies and my insulated boots; tough to keep still. Ground is still frozen so no real tracks, but I saw dull spots in the frost walking to my stand, so they were here overnight.

Bonejour said:
Quiet this am. Sunny but cold. Shoulda brought more woolies and my insulated boots; tough to keep still. Ground is still frozen so no real tracks, but I saw dull spots in the frost walking to my stand, so they were here overnight.

Good luck Don. GET EM.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu