G13 Filled (meat in the freezer)

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Was able to get out twice this week. I had both a D16 & G13 at the start of the week and leaned toward filling the D16 first (if lucky) and holding the G13 till later in the season. But that plan lasted only until the second Doe I saw. On Tuesday I nearly walked into a Doe at 45 yards. We were walking on the same path heading toward each other (first pic). I held off on taking the shot and got a pic before she turned and bounded out of there. Today SurfNHuntSD and I went out to a popular spot knowing it would be relatively quiet because it’s not the weekend yet. It was quiet but so were the deer. From sunrise until 11:15am we didn’t see anything and started heading out of the area. We stopped at a path which neither of us had explored before. It turned out not to be a very big area but had nice deer habitat and some privacy from the busier spots. I looked over a ridge at a flat area about 30’ lower. I only saw a brown stump with an arched top. However Jason spotted not one, but three Does on the other side of a low oak. After 6 hours of not seeing anything today (and thinking that would continue) I took an off-hand shot at ~45 yards. We saw the cloud of dirt rise behind the Doe. By then Jason had setup his shooting stick next to me and my 243 did tremendous damage through the back of the left shoulder join, heart/lungs cavity, and out just above the right elbow (missing the bone).
Tag counter-signed at nearby fire station. She’s all cleaned up now, meat soaking in saltwater and ice overnight and the processor opens at 9am (yum sausage!).
Thank you to SurfNHuntSD for putting me on my first San Diego deer!

.BAB127A5-AB25-46AB-8B88-9A609F54C0E4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was able to get out twice this week. I had both a D16 & G13 at the start of the week and leaned toward filling the D16 first (if lucky) and holding the G13 till later in the season. But that plan lasted only until the second Doe I saw. On Tuesday I nearly walked into a Doe at 45 yards. We were walking on the same path heading toward each other (first pic). I held off on taking the shot and got a pic before she turned and bounded out of there. Today SurfNHuntSD and I went out to a popular spot knowing it would be relatively quiet because it’s not the weekend yet. It was quiet but so were the deer. From sunrise until 11:15am we didn’t see anything and started heading out of the area. We stopped at a path which neither of us had explored before. It turned out not to be a very big area but had nice deer habitat and some privacy from the busier spots. I looked over a ridge at a flat area about 30’ lower. I only saw a brown stump with an arched top. However Jason spotted not one, but three Does on the other side of a low oak. After 6 hours of not seeing anything today (and thinking that would continue) I took an off-hand shot at ~45 yards. We saw the cloud of dirt rise behind the Doe. By then Jason had setup his shooting stick next to me and my 243 did tremendous damage through the back of the left shoulder join, heart/lungs cavity, and out just above the right elbow (missing the bone).
Tag counter-signed at nearby fire station. She’s all cleaned up now, meat soaking in saltwater and ice overnight and the processor opens at 9am (yum sausage!).
Thank you to SurfNHuntSD for putting me on my first San Diego deer!

.View attachment 33514
Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Question, when you say the meat is soaking, is it in plastic bags in the salt water or do you have it soaking directly in the salt water (brine)?

congrats on the first one. Looking to get one of those tags filled this weekend.

Congrats!

Question, when you say the meat is soaking, is it in plastic bags in the salt water or do you have it soaking directly in the salt water (brine)?
I had it directly in salted water with a full bag of ice from 7-11. This morning a lot more blood had been pulled out and made the water too red to see through. I was worried about doing this but it seems to have worked well - just make sure to keep the water ice cold and change it at least every 12hours (in my case it was in there exactly 12hours). I’m not sure I’ll do it this way next time but I didn’t have enough room to refrigerate all of it last night, but I do have a big cooler so trying the brine soak was a good option and I’m pleased with the result.

Reactions: socalhntr
I had it directly in salted water with a full bag of ice from 7-11. This morning a lot more blood had been pulled out and made the water too red to see through. I was worried about doing this but it seems to have worked well - just make sure to keep the water ice cold and change it at least every 12hours (in my case it was in there exactly 12hours). I’m not sure I’ll do it this way next time but I didn’t have enough room to refrigerate all of it last night, but I do have a big cooler so trying the brine soak was a good option and I’m pleased with the result.

Thanks! I watched this video after reading your post. I may try this method...

It seems that my pic from Tuesday was removed (the pic where I passed on taking the Doe). Maybe circling the Doe in the pic was too much.

Nice! Congrats on your first SD deer! I also have a G-13 and D-16, will be hitting it this weekend!

Well done man! Thanks for sharing. I will be trying to fill a G13 this weekend as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu