German Shorthaired Pointer Needs a New Home

Andrew Meier

Dec 5, 2016
Tujunga, CA 91042
My GSP Otis is 4 years old. My wife and I got him as a pup from Hard Point Kennels in Nuevo, CA. and have enjoyed having him in our lives. We are not hunters, but Otis will sniff out hidden tennis balls in a field and not quit until he finds it. He's not shy when I fire up my Harley. He's very obedient and takes command (voice and hand) very well. He wants to learn and likes structure. Another member of this forum stopped by today and gave me a bird wing to start working with. Otis was immediately interested in the wing and began sniffing. He will take the wing and hold it with a soft mouth. The hunter said that with a little formal training, Otis has potential as a hunting dog. Also, 4 years as a house trained pet makes him a great companion, however I do not recommend that he be around small children.

We recently found out that we are expecting our first child and we don't trust him 100% with children. It was a hard decision to make, but we feel it would be best if we could find him a great new home where he will get to do what he was born to do. I've already reached out to the GSP rescues in CA but would prefer to find a permanent home right away.

Please, if anyone has any interest in adopting Otis or has any ideas or suggestions please reach out.
If anyone is interested, but cannot afford training I am willing to work with you on the cost! Zero cost for adoption to anyone who can provide an excellent home and life for Otis.

Thanks
Andrew Meier
262-951-6553

Attachments

• IMG_6124.JPG
    IMG_6124.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6125.JPG
    IMG_6125.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6126.JPG
    IMG_6126.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
My GSP Otis is 4 years old. My wife and I got him as a pup from Hard Point Kennels in Nuevo, CA. and have enjoyed having him in our lives. We are not hunters, but are avid hikers and Otis has been with us on the trail for 4 years. He's incredibly athletic and and an amazing retriever. With some training would be a great and loyal hunting companion. He's house trained and very obedient. He takes command very well

We recently found out that we are expecting our first child and we don't trust him 100% with children. It was a hard decision to make, but we feel it would be best if we could find him a great new home where he will get to do what he was born to do. I've already reached out to the GSP rescues in CA but would prefer to find a permanent home right away.

Please if anyone has any interest in adopting Otis or has any ideas or suggestions please reach out. Thanks
Andrew Meier
262-951-6553
Hi Andrew what area of California are you in?

I would love a GSP!
Hi There, Otis is a great GSP. Very obedient, beautiful and full of love. He has no formal bird training, but I did meet up with another member of the forum who brought me a wing for Otis to work with. He is very interested in the wing and has hunting potential. He will sniff out tennis balls that are hidden and bring them back with a soft mouth every time. He will not quit once he is sent out to find it. I have a Harley and he is OK when its fired up!
If you are interested in learning more about him, let chat.

Thanks for your interest!
Andrew
Tujunga, CA
262-951-6553
[email protected]

Hey guys. I just met with Andrew and Ottis. I wanted to do a quick evaluation for any one that is interested since I love gsps and he is right around the corner.

Ottis smelled the pheasant wing as soon as I brought out the plastic bag. He has a good nose. He is in very good shape and is great color. He is a little nervous but did not seam aggressive and he is well trained in basic obedience. Sit stay lay and heal. If any one has any questions id be willing to meet with Andrew and ottis if any one had any other questions.

Last edited:
Hey Andrew , how does Otis do during the 4th of July fire works???? Have you ever fired up a motorcycle around him ?

What is his reaction ?

Brandon

Something to be aware of, We have over the years had quite a few older dogs of various breeds that were brought to us for gun dog training. Because the dog has led an alternative life prior to attempting to train them for field work they quite often have lost their prey drive. A good test is to use a live wing clipped pigeon put it out for the dog and see how the dog reacts. If the dig wants to shred and eat the bird you have a bird dog if the dog shows moderate or little interest you have a pet. Generally speaking the longer you wait to train a dog the less you get in the end.

Snake, Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. Otis definitely has his prey drive fully intact. We live in an area where people have chickens and horses. Otis was outside our gated yard once last year and killed two of my neighbors chicken without hesitation. Oops! We hike with him almost daily where he is off leash on wooded trails. He goes out ahead of us and is constantly tracking wild animals (squirrels, rabbits, birds, deer, coyotes, etc.) He checks in with us every few minutes and then goes back out ahead of us to do his business. Sound about right?

In addition, another member of this forum from who lives in my area (@Gspman) was kind enough to stop by yesterday and give me a pheasant wing. Otis is clearly interested in the wing. He wants to smell it and take it in his mouth. I will continue to work with the wing and have him track it in preparation for his new owner.

Thanks!

Why don't you trust him around children? Does he snip, bite, bark?
Hi did bite me recently and broke the skin. It is not common behavior. In fact, he's actually quite well behaved as a house dog. But the fact that he bit me without warning was enough for my wife and I to decide he can't be around our baby that is on the way.

Ideally, we are looking for someone without small children to take Otis. He does not like other dogs, but if someone has the training skills to properly socialize him, another dog may be a good for him.

Could you explain the situation you were in when he bit you? Was he eating, chewing on a toy or bone, sleeping, did you surprise him? From my experience, dogs don't just bite for no reason, there's usually an underlying reason.

I do have other dogs, but could still be interested.

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu