Ghetto Pigeon Coop

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
20170203_174057.jpg 20170203_174030.jpg 20170203_174139.jpg A while back I had a half dozen chickens but my entire flock got whipped out by a raccoon one night because I forgot to close the door.

So a few weeks ago I re-purposed it into a pigeon house and made up this little trap door for them out of crap I had laying around. It's kind of ghetto but I have 10 pigeons and they don't seem to mind. I started out with 12 and kept them all confined for almost a month and yesterday let them fly for the first time. Right off the bat three flew off to never never land, one was waiting early this morning outside and the other two appear to be gone.

It's kind of cool to sit and watch them zip around the yard and my pup is going crazy chasing them around. Even my wife thought it was kind of cool.

Shoot, that's not ghetto at all......I used to raise "Homers" as a kid and used a similar set-up.....Dang nice in my book.....:blush:

ps.....Buy some rollers or tumblers.....They're really cool to watch fly.

Well I'm down to 7 homers now. A hawk got one and another two flew to greener pastures. Yesterday I took the 7 out just a small ways from my house and let them go. By the end of the day all were back safe and are now using the trap door with all the little rods down.

I also just picked up a pheasant a couple days ago and was planning on using it to train on tracking. Well yesterday afternoon while going into the coop to feed the birds I managed to let the damn pheasant escape. It flew 20 or so feet, landed by my tree and ran another 70-75 feet through my yard into a big bush. While trying to catch the thing out of the bush it got away and flew like a bat out of hell. Once that ordeal was over I Iet the pup out of the house and almost immediately she found the scent next to the tree where it landed, got her nose low and followed it's track perfectly through my yard and she about ripped the bush apart at the end trying to find it. It was really cool seeing her do the track.
Now all I need to is to get her to swim a little more and I'll be ready for her NAVHDA N/A test. She will enter the water and swim a tiny bit but I'm being told that the judges for a N/A test are going to want to see her swim 20-30 feet after a bumper.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu