Goat hunting

8SteelTown

Looked around the forum and only saw posts about "owned goats".

Not much online besides forums of people saying they taste bad. <-- I'm not a firm believer of game tasting bad, just not prepared in a manner to hide the flavorings.

Anyone have any knowledge on California hunting of "Aoudad, Mouflon, Tahr, and Feral Goats "... They're open year round... surprised there's nobody chasing them like we chase coyotes... and I'm not talking about Big Horn Ranch or paid hunting spots.

Only goats I've ever seen are the ones clearing fields in the Menifee / Romoland area and I don't think the owner would take too kindly of me thinning out the herd.

No idea on where to hunt em but I've eaten/cooked mouflon and feral goat and its pretty strong tasting.. def requires some stewing or smoking to make it good.

Somewhere in San Berdo there are some goats that escaped from a ranch that use to be out there........but I have no idea where. Maybe call the warden in that area and ask.

There is some very good free range aoudad (barbary sheep) hunting in South New Mexico and North West Texas.

Otherwise you can do a canned hunt at Big Horn Canyon Ranch — Moreno Valley, CA.

Wild free range Aoudad are arguably one of the most difficult animals in the southwest to hunt. Incredible eyesight and camoulflage, Imported from northern Africa in the fifties and let loose in NM and Texas

yea, my only guess would be bhcr, but the only way to cook ANY type of goat is BARBACOA/BIRRIA!! that get the strong scent out and leaves the meat soft, thats the ONLY way to cook it.

Never done it. But try it out with a little bit first. If not, pm me. My wife and my mother have some great recipes. They grew up cooking goats on the farm down south

tapatalk pro

Back