Good Luck to all AO tag holders

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Well... Another season starts tomorrow for me (well it started 3 months ago during scouting) and I'm sure a few of you guys will head out to your specific zones also. I hope my crew gets lucky and lines up a nice buck. Can't wait to be out there and enjoy the outdoors with some good ole' camping. Everything is packed and ready, just waiting to leave work a bit later then I'm headed out.

Rick

Good Luck to you as well rick.
Monkey wrenches left and right for me...Was supposed to be a solo 4-5 day trip but that changed when I got hired for a job. Starting orientation on Monday so it will now be a 2 day hunt trip. Not only that but my non-hunter buddy decided to join me for Saturday. He's got very little fun time so I couldn't say no. It will be fun no matter what- but my chances of scoring are dwindling.

Head out tonight for 3 nights East of San Diego. Have some good pics on game cameras but unfortunately, many pics a week ago of a Mt Lion and her cub in the area I'm hunting. Cub actually knocked over one of my cameras! Hoping they moved on...I'm hiking in, in the dark. CA no-sidearms while archery hunting has me a bit miffed right now.

Don't worry about it. She wont bother you. I support that law. We don't need nervous people walking around in the woods in the dark cocked and locked. And you are no match for her in the dark gun or not. If she wanted you there is no defense against it. Good luck.

Don't worry about it. She wont bother you. I support that law. We don't need nervous people walking around in the woods in the dark cocked and locked. And you are no match for her in the dark gun or not. If she wanted you there is no defense against it. Good luck.

X2.... there is not a square mile of the San Diego backcountry that isn't part of a lion's territory. Seeing it on camera makes it more real to us but they are there whether you get that photo or not. A lion that wants you for dinner will be on your back before you ever knew it was there.

Yep.. lion attacks are so rare, but if it did happen, you wouldn't see it coming and it'd have your neck before you could draw your pistol. I compare it with getting nailed by a shark while surfing.. odds of it happening are low but if it wants you it'll take you.

How about bear spray? It's cheap, effective, and you may already have it in your gear box. May not be useful when you're walking in, but if your setup in a blind with your back against structure then it would at least give you a fighting chance.

How about bear spray? It's cheap, effective, and you may already have it in your gear box. May not be useful when you're walking in, but if your setup in a blind with your back against structure then it would at least give you a fighting chance.

The problem is not the weapon, it is how lions hunt. You are unlikely to come face to face with a lion that is hunting you. It's just not how they operate. Their success depends on surprise, on not being seen. It has happened that people see a lion, and then later have an encounter with it, but their usual M.O. is to come from behind on unsuspecting prey. If a lion really wants to eat you it will come from behind and break your neck. That is how they kill deer. People imagine that they will have a face off with the creature but it just doesn't happen very often. The two that I have seen in San Diego that were aware of my presence left the vicinity quickly.

When i live in the sierra nevada i came across a lion. I never knew it was there. Scared the crap out of me. It seemed as if it left anoyed by my me. Jumped out in front of me and was gone in one leap. It couldve just walked away, but it seemed as if it purposefully jumped in front of me. It made me realize that i was in the kill zone. I was walking up the ambush lane, but not on the menu.... It is true if they want to kill any of us. It would be like taking candy from a baby. I am totaly affraid of them... I respect them and i don't underestimate them what so ever....

Reactions: longbowhunter2
C43823BB-585A-4233-8EB6-6418DAF8B675.jpeg Don’t get too caught up with Mt Lions. They are the largest predator in D16 unless you count the increased bear presence (over the past 5 years since they’ve crossed the I-10). However, look out for the many holes which are 1” in diameter. Once I counted 100 within 10 feet! I don’t know what they are, ...could be Tarantulas

Last edited:
the main issue is try not to hunt alone.. hunt in pairs. look up missing hunters 411.
it can be any issue. broken leg , snake bite , or lost .. hunters go missing often . and the reason goes UN-answered. as I hike I seriously look behind me and around. all ways keeping an eye on my surroundings. lion attacks are like shark attacks rare. how ever we are not told why some hikers and hunters go missing. when we are out there we are not on top of the food chain. .
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

Reactions: Goyaałé
Very fun weekend guys, didn't get to arrow a buck yet. I did get to explore and found a new natural water source that looked like it's been used by deer and donkey. I spoke with a few road hunters on the way out and they hadn't seen anything not even a doe. I figure with what I saw 15 miles deep into the desert the deer have no need to be near any roads right now. Counting the days till Friday so I can head out again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu