Good Morning SCH!!!

ChefRob13

Aug 19, 2014
Newbie Here! Never been Hunting but have been doing all the learning I can. I'm in the middle of my online safety course. And have my Howa Ranchland in jail at turners with $100 to go. Me and a buddy are planning to go to Big Horn Canyon Ranch when we get good and ready for our first Hunt. I live in Whittier and shoot at Burro and Insight. Wanted to say wassup!!!

Welcome chefrob. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thank you Sir, I don't come from a hunting family so I am learning on my own. I've been into shooting for a couple years now. And i love hiking and camping, so being a Chef, Harvesting game myself is naturally the next step. I'm looking forward to getting out there.

ChefRob13 said:
Thank you Sir, I don't come from a hunting family so I am learning on my own. I've been into shooting for a couple years now. And i love hiking and camping, so being a Chef, Harvesting game myself is naturally the next step. I'm looking forward to getting out there.

Welcome.

What would you do with a deer heart? How would you prepare it? Assuming I fill a tag this year, I'd like to try it...

Breacher said:
ChefRob13 said:

Welcome.

What would you do with a deer heart? How would you prepare it? Assuming I fill a tag this year, I'd like to try it...

I ate a little heart a few days ago. My buddy had a turkey that we grilled, including the heart, Liver, and Kidneys.

For a deer heart I would Keep it simple to enjoy the flavor of the Offal and not smother it. clean it real good of all the silver skin and fat cap. Half it and clean out any of the veins or vessels and butterfly it out a bit so it is about an even thickness in order to cook more consistent.
Than I would marinade with some fresh thyme and rosemary.(1 part rosemary to 4 parts thyme as rosemary can overpower ) grape seed oil just to coat and cracked black pepper .Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours but do not salt till immediately before cooking as salt has the tendency to pull the moisture our of things, and nothing worse than dried meat. than I would grill over a hot fire of mesquite and red oak till MR-MED. Than allow the meat to rest for a few minutes so all of the juices can calm down and not run away when you slice this bad boy!! Right before you slice, squeeze a lemon or squirt a bit of red wine vinegar over the meat and slice THIN. add a touch of finishing sea salt on top (if you wish). and enjoy with a cold beer!! Damn I'm hungry.

That sounds awesome! We have a Cooking/Food section on the forum; looking forward to seeing some of your recipes etc. Welcome to SCH!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu