Got it done in D16

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
Put a decent little fork on the ground on Thursday. Had been hitting the mountain hard almost everyday since opening. Saw a good 3x3 opening morning but never got a shot. After that I passed on well over 20 bucks before deciding to pull the trigger on this fork at 30 yards. Had a desert hunt opening up on the 4th that I wanted to be able to focus on..
Anyway story goes like this...
After some failed plans bright and early ended up changing plans last minute and started the hike into my spot at first light. Typically like to be sitting there’s ready to glass long before light. Usually I sit at the top and glass a main cut that always holds bucks but since I was running behind I decided to hike about half as far and glass from the side of the mountain instead of the top. This was new for me but ended up being a good decision. After glassing for a while deer started popping up all over. Also saw for my first time ever 2 spikes doing a little sparring which was awesome to see. As the hours went by All the deer ended up in the cut directly below me. 4-5 doe and at least 7 bucks. After watching them for a while the one I wanted was working closer and closer. I had a 330 yard shot I decided to take. Turned around to grab my rifle and throw one in the chamber. Turned back around and the buck I wanted and all the doe were gone. There was still a small fork but he wasn’t what I was lookin for. After glassing for a good 20 min I see all the doe 800 yards away in the bottom of the canyon and the good buck no where to be found. Decided to keep on doing the same thing and glass. Another 30 min go by and a new shooter buck walks in. Had him at 600 yards and he was walkin right towards me. Bad luck comes by way again. He was walking straight up a cut towards me and all the sudden makes a turn into some thicket and I never saw him again. As I’m sitting there trying to glass the brush to find him I hear some rustling behind me. A doe walked right up on me and then started blowing. At that point I figured my day was done with her hootin and hollering. Not 5 min later a buck and doe cross the trail infront of me at 75 yards. I sneak closer cause he was behind a bush and he gave me a 30 yard broadside shot. He took off like I didn’t hit him which worried me but he only went about 10 yards and tangeled him self up on a bush. And that’s all she wrote. Buck down 1.5 miles from the truck.
Now if I can just figure out these desert deer I’ll be a happy man. Good luck out there to everyone still trying to fill a tag.

.BDDB65C1-10C2-427E-86E1-C245BFBBC576.png D9E7A4F9-B6CB-4B1F-89E8-4DD2EE9A6483.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a decent little fork on the ground on Thursday. Had been hitting the mountain hard almost everyday since opening. Saw a good 3x3 opening morning but never got a shot. After that I passed on well over 20 bucks before deciding to pull the trigger on this fork at 30 yards. Had a desert hunt opening up on the 4th that I wanted to be able to focus on..
After some failed plans bright and early ended up changing plans last minute and started the hike into my spot at first light. Typically like to be sitting there’s ready to glass long before light. Usually I sit at the top and glass a main cut that always holds bucks but since I was running behind I decided to hike about half as far and glass from the side of the mountain instead of the top. This was new for me but ended up being a good decision. After glassing for a while deer started popping up all over. Also saw for my first time ever 2 spikes doing a little sparring which was awesome to see. As the hours went by All the deer ended up in the cut directly below me. 4-5 doe and at least 7 bucks. After watching them for a while the one I wanted was working closer and closer. I had a 330 yard shot I decided to take. Turned around to grab my rifle and throw one in the chamber. Turned back around and the buck I wanted and all the doe were gone. There was still a small fork but he wasn’t what I was lookin for. After glassing for a good 20 min I see all the doe 800 yards away in the bottom of the canyon and the good buck no where to be found. Decided to keep on doing the same thing and glass. Another 30 min go by and a new shooter buck walks in. Had him at 600 yards and he was walkin right towards me. Bad luck comes by way again. He was walking straight up a cut towards me and all the sudden makes a turn into some thicket and I never saw him again. As I’m sitting there trying to glass the brush to find him I hear some rustling behind me. A doe walked right up on me and then started blowing. At that point I figured my day was done with her hootin and hollering. Not 5 min later a buck and doe cross the trail infront of me at 75 yards. I sneak closer cause he was behind a bush and he gave me a 30 yard broadside shot. He took off like I didn’t hit him which worried me but he only went about 10 yards and tangeled him self up on a bush. And that’s all she wrote. Buck down 1.5 miles from the truck.
Now if I can just figure out these desert deer I’ll be a happy man. Good luck out there to everyone still trying to fill a tag.
Very nice deer and great story. Hot spot for sure. Best

Reactions: Geofish
congrats and thanks for sharing the story. Good luck on the desert deer.

Reactions: Geofish
Real nice Southern California buck. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I tried to post that video of the 2 little bucks goin at it but it says the files to big. If anyone knows how let me know. It’s a cool little video.

Thanks everyone! I tried to post that video of the 2 little bucks goin at it but it says the files to big. If anyone knows how let me know. It’s a cool little video.

You need to download into You tube. Then transfer by right clicking on video.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu