hand held GPS

surfcity

I don't play nice with baby killing gun grabbers
Howdy

Looking to get a hand held GPS. 5yrs ago good ones were 400 bux when I was looking at'em No I think I need it for this years turkey hunts on Public Land.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Gosh, with the new phones, I'm thinking the old GPS's are almost outdated......I know the kids I take all have these apps that show everything a GPS shows......What phone do you have?

He's right......even though he's a flipper.......go with one of the smartphone apps.

Bonejour said:
MJB said:
He's right......even though he's a flipper.......go with one of the smartphone apps.
absolutely agree. No comparison.

I use onx hunt app for my I phone. $30 a year and it gives you all of California showing all public land as well as private land and owners. I can use it on my phone, I pad or computer. A lot of the time I have google maps on the computer and onx on the tablet between the two it is pretty legit. For $30 you can't go wrong. Only place I lose service is when I get to close to the border and my phone starts speaking Spanish.

Well thats the thing I don't own a sweet smartphone When I am in the woods with the stupid thing it takes for EVER...
and i just don't have the patience....

Samsung s2 I just don't need to pay for the data..I use freedompop for a phone service and its Sprint 3rd tier.
I am a stay at home dad we are a one income family with a couple of special needs kids. So for me I just can't justify a fancy smart phone I PaY NOTHING right now for phone service I paid up front...

So I have a dog of a smart phone....

So with that said....I am gonna hear get a better smart phone and pay 30 bux a year.....

I wonder if you could just get a iPod touch for much cheaper and the apps would still work. It's 200 vs 600+ for an iPhone. I don't know much about it but that might be an option.

There is a great article about this at http://www.americanhunter.org/article.php?id=27174&cat=14&sub=26 and it looks like the smart phone is the way to go....

Good GPS's aren't cheap either.......I used the Garmin Oregon with the NF feature while turkey hunting in New Mexico......Worked great, but needed a satellite. When I got down in the dark woods where I shot my gobbler. I had no signal.

Cabela's Garmin Oregon.......http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Handheld-GPS-Accessories/Handheld-GPS%7C/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/Garminreg-Oregonreg-650/1570451.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhandheld-gps%2F_%2FN-1100153%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104373180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104729580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104729580%3Bcat104373180

OK so i'm in the middle of the woods...say north eastern San Diego County and I am using a smartphone for my compassy GPS boundries private...
And the smartphone is a 1year old Is it going to down load as fast as a GPS dedicated device.

My phone like I have said is really tough on me out there it takes for ever, one move on the phone takes forever for the map to update..
Does this happen to everyone? Or does the dedicated software on the phone like "onx hunt app " for example...

I was just using google maps and the phones gps....

Thanks again everyone, the forum allows me to think about this moving forward :-*

The one thing my Garmin 62s does better than my phone apps is keep up with my position when I'm moving fast, say driving between hunting spots. That's a simple thing for apps to overcome, and the good ones are now doing it (caching) so all you need to acquire is your position and overlay it on the the cached map.

hey surf city. I have a garmin e trex 30 about $ 250 & you can download free maps from gpsfiledepot.com works great & super easy to operate

Hey Benjiman!
I put Onxmaps on my s2 galaxy But 30 bux I have ever spent

good deal. I had a couple of apps on phone for gps but used a lot of airtime or gb & did not work when signal strength got weak. just my 2 cents worth but never had any problems with my garmin. good luck & happy hunting

Back