Hard work pays off

Greenteal

Mar 19, 2017
This year I accepted the challenge of taking a trophy tom with a pellet rifle. Over the years I've taken quite a few trophy birds, and never wanted to go less than a 20ga, so I knew I had my work cut out for me.
After some lengthy scouting, I had some really nice birds patterned, and knew this might be possible. Got in earlier than normal, and located a group with 2 long beards and a few Jakes in tow. Got setup, and reached for my slate, and found out I had lost my striker in the poison oak, so I whittled one out of some dead oak and what do you know, it sounded great. First test, got a gobble back. Second test he's at 30 yds. Decided to give him the silent treatment. 5 minutes later, dropped him a 15 yds. 24 lbs, 9 in beard, 1 in spurs. First bird I've ever taken with an air gun. Still can't believe I pulled it off. Would I do it again? Not sure, but I can definitely say shot placement is everything. Always thankful to be able to take a nice bird to share with family. These are the good ol' days.

IMG_20240411_105242.jpgIMG_20240411_105100.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu