Having a Killer Quail Season

wingshooterkj

Oct 16, 2016
So it seems like all that hype about this season being a good year due to last years wet winter is proving to be true. One month into the season and we (me and my GSP) have already bagged more quail than all of last season. All the rain we got last winter has grown some really tall grasses on the desert floor witch seems to persuade these little running bastards to hold for a pointing dog rather than running witch has lead to some really fun hunts this year. Weather it be holding birds or the fact that this is my GSPs 6th season and she really is in her prime, she has had some of her best performing hunts these past few weeks despite overcoming a medical emergency early in the season. last weekend I ran out of 20ga shells so I decided to shoot the .410 and was thoroughly impressed by just how effective it was knocking down these little rockets we call valley quail. I'm thinking ill use it for the remainder of the season. Anyway, how are you guys doing out there?

20171126_184920280_iOS%203_zpsxderuwke.jpg

Good job! Ive seen a ton of quail while I was out during d16 this year. Might try and get a few myself.

kj,

Congrats....That's a beautiful pup you have.....And yes, it's amazing what some rain does for our ground nesting game birds.....Hoping our turkeys have benefited as well.

Agreed, I’ve gotten more than all of last season. Rain and fires have really helped. Too many areas had become clogged with scrub. Great looking dog and congrats on your success!

Awesome. What region are you in? My father took the first valley quail I’d ever seen while we were chukar hunting in the Mojave. It was mixed in a covey of chukar. Quite a surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu