He Shoots, He Scores.....Last Minute Buck

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Jacob works a lot, so we hunted both days of the final week-end.....MCC produced no legal bucks (3 points or better).....So for the last afternoon, we went to the best 40 acres in San Diego.....The problem with this property is there's rules here too.....Young 3 point bucks get passes.....And sure enough, that's what we had in front of us yesterday along with 3 spikes and 11 does.....For an hour and a half, we couldn't move with so many eyes watching for any movement.....The young, but nice 3x2 chased every spike he could.....Finally with about 25 minutes to go, he races down the hill.....I told Jacob & Stef that there had to be another bigger buck coming up.....Sure enough, there he is.....Big older forky.....The two go eyeball to eyeball and circle each other.....After the 3rd go around, the bigger forky goes one way and the 3x2 goes the other.....At this point, I told Jacob the bigger forky could pop up, up by us.....We're also looking at our watches.....I had no sooner looked to see we had about 15 minutes to go.....When Stef says, there's a deer.....I put the Swaro's on him (nice to have in such low light), and I can see he's the big forky.....With time running out, he walks out from behind a big Engleman oak.....Kapow!....Goes about 30 yds and piles up.....Beautiful older forky, the 3x2 can now breed in peace, and very exciting to say the least.

Hunting with family doesn't get any better.

.006.JPG

Last edited:
You are a great dad Steve. Nice job to all!

Thanks John....It's all that really matters.

Drew,

This one particular property has everything it takes to have great body size, despite only being 40 acres....Oak woodlands (black, live, & Engleman), oak thickets (shrub), wild fruit trees (pear, apple, & berries), grass meadows, and water.....Even the leaves changing color or falling reminds me of New jersey or some place other than SoCal.

Like I've stated before, this is so much like white-tail country that the Pacific hybrids are really just like them.....Does hang around all year and bucks come from a wide area.....They fight like crazy here (watched two spikes go at it yesterday) and any day may produce a different buck. But like white-tail hunting, it may produce nothing but does & spikes.....Mostly a waiting game each time out.....Really the only thing lacking is great antler growth, but we're doing our best to get these weird genes out.....lol

I am no doubt blessed to be able to hunt deer & turkeys here.

. 011.JPG 036.JPG

That land looks incredible! Great story too! My son is 14 months old and I cannot wait until I can take him out hunting or even when he catches his first trout!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu