Hello

davem

Jan 7, 2015
I'm in FLORIDA right now but thinking about a move to California. Hunting and fishing are my life so one concern is to locate in the best area. I'm pretty flexible on species, that is, I could do salt water or mountain trout, deer or birds. The main thing is to avail myself of some sport afield. This would be pretty much public land, I don't plan on spending a lot to lease private hunts, etc.
So...I'm joining the forum to hopefully get some notion of what areas of California might be best for me. I started out in Colorado, then New York, then new England, then the Southeast and Florida. It's time for a change, "New Horizons" so California looks good.

Welcome to SCH. Read away and chime in with any questions. Great group of folks here!

Welcome, from my understanding you'll want to pick an area in central - northern area. Not too much going on down here in LA area. Or maybe I just have bad luck lol I'm sure others will tell you. good luck with the move

Well, we can't hunt and fish every day of our lives and then there is the really high real estate prices in certain areas so my move has to consider all the factors. What about Bakersfield? How long does it take to get up into Sequoia National Forest and does that area have any hunting? I figure I have three options, one is to locate along the coast, then I have the ocean on a regular basis, the other would be to locate in the mountains, then I have them on a regular basis, the third is in the central valley where I'm maybe 2-3 hours from both and can get to one or the other without too much trouble. I'm mostly a deer hunter but also shoot doves. I don't own a bird dog. On fishing, I fly fish for trout and also do some salt water and bass.
Although it is farther north, I was thinking about Sacramento along the same lines- not to far to Mountains or Ocean.

Bakersfield area is not a bad choice......The Kern River is close and Lake Isabella is about an hour and a half away (love Issy).....Most the deer tags in that area are draws, but the mighty D-7 isn't too far.....Upland hunting around Lake Isabella and surrounding areas can be very good.....The housing market should be pretty reasonable as well.

Sacramento area is a waterfowlers dream with so many refuges close by. It also has good fishing nearby.....Your close to big game, but again some tough tags to draw and some driving will be involved......Housing costs can be as bad as SoCal, but it's a large area. So, if driving isn't a problem. Then you should be able to find something in your price range.

Really tough choice between the two, but I think I'd go with Sac....Mostly because I'm a hardcore 'fowler & turkey hunter.

ps......San Diego is the best place to live.......lol

pss.....Have you thought about the eastern Sierra's?.....I lived in Bishop and loved it.....Lots of big game, upland, and great trout fishing close to home.

I've thought about Bishop. Beautiful Country. I think there is some very good fly fishing not too far off plus probably good hunting and hiking in the hills. I thought it was pretty expensive- home price is a limiting factor. How long does it take to drive to San Francisco from Bishop? For the occasional trip once or twice a year.

No short way to SF from Bishop (why would you want to go this libtard place anyway....lol).....About 6 hours.

I had a home in Rocking K Ranch back in the 80's.....Just looked up housing prices there.....Wow!....Guess I should have kept it......lol......Lone Pine, Big Pine, and Independence may be a little more reasonable.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu