Her First Time!!!!

BCox

Feb 19, 2015
I finally got to take my daughter out for her first time hunting. We left San Diego @ 3:00 a.m on Friday. We arrive in Paso Robles around 9:00 after breaking the land speed record. We had a few hours to kill before her first BIG hunt. It's time, we met Chad from Oakstone Outfitters @ 2:00 and headed out to one of his ranches. How long until we get there, will they attack us, is it going to be scary?.... The nervous questions never stopped. Once we arrived, she spotted a coyote immediately, but I was to slow getting out of the truck. After glassing a few areas, we decided to stop and hike to an open field. Once there, and almost stepping on 2 rattlesnakes, missed them both by a few feet, we spotted 3 hogs on the opposite hillside. 298 yds was the distance, there was one boar with 2 pregnant sows. We were able to creep to 258 and sit and wait. I had the crosshairs on him for about 10 minutes before I had a clear shot. Ready, ready, do you have him in your binoculars? Baaam! I put the .270 to work. He tumbled 150 yds down the hill. What a sight to see him tumble down the hillside. I ended up having to wheelbarrow carry him almost a mile to meet up with Chad on the road. Guessing around 150-165#. She ended up plinking a squirrel from 110 yds at his house with a 17WSM and that was a wrap. What a great weekend to spend with my daughter and her first hunt. I have my hands full.20170310_151953.jpg 20170310_171708.jpg

Look at that smile, can't beat that. Great job DAD

Oakstone is AWEOME! That was my second time up there. The owner Chad is a really nice guy and lives near by most of the ranches. He also does taxidermy so if you get a trophy, he can take care of it for you. I went last year and scored a #318 trophy boar. I hunted with one of his guides and my brother with another one of his guides. Each person up there is a class act and a great time to hunt with. The scenery is second to none right now with all of the recent rains. There a lot of hogs that I have seen each time we were there. I would highly recommend giving them a shot. They also hunt deer and elk.

Great stuff. Nice head shot on that squirrel at 110 yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for my son to be old enough to go afield with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakstone is AWEOME! That was my second time up there. The owner Chad is a really nice guy and lives near by most of the ranches. He also does taxidermy so if you get a trophy, he can take care of it for you. I went last year and scored a #318 trophy boar. I hunted with one of his guides and my brother with another one of his guides. Each person up there is a class act and a great time to hunt with. The scenery is second to none right now with all of the recent rains. There a lot of hogs that I have seen each time we were there. I would highly recommend giving them a shot. They also hunt deer and elk.

What is considered for a pig to make book ? I didn't know they even did that

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu