Hi...New Hunter

vegetarianhunter

Apr 10, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new to hunting and definitely looking to hunt hogs. I've done a fair amount of research (I guess as much as one can do on the internet) and just want to learn as much as I can. I'm not looking for locations or anything like that, but rather just want to know what I'm getting myself into that ISN'T that basic general knowledge. Whatever anyone would be willing to share in nuggets of knowledge, or point me in a good direction to do research, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

I agree with ilovesprig I would highly recommend a guided hunt in central or northern cal. Spot and stalk public land hogs in socal for any hunter let a lone a new hunter is super tough.

Go with a guide and you can learn the basics of hunting hogs from them. Good luck regardless.

I'm in agreement with ilovesprig as well. I've been out looking on public land with very little to show for it in terms of game. But the experience of being out there is the upside for me.
Next year I'll be looking for a guided hunt.
Btw, I lost my phone out there somewhere if anyone happens to find one that would be nice. Lol jk that's next to impossible

Thansk all. Yes it seems from what I've read there's a small population in Los Padres and there's a farm where you can hunt in Riverside, but not much else. I, obviously, would like to stay close to home but yes the guided hunt seems ideal for learning. Thanks ilovesprig for the recommendation, I'll reach out to them. Anyone have a good recommendation for where to take some basic hunter safety courses?

Thanks all again!

Thansk all. Yes it seems from what I've read there's a small population in Los Padres and there's a farm where you can hunt in Riverside, but not much else. I, obviously, would like to stay close to home but yes the guided hunt seems ideal for learning. Thanks ilovesprig for the recommendation, I'll reach out to them. Anyone have a good recommendation for where to take some basic hunter safety courses?

Thanks all again!

I would not recommend any of the game farms like the one in Riverside, for not much more money you can go on a real hunt and have a professional hunter (guide) teach you some as well. There is Neil like was already recommended, then there is Shay Balesteri 831.594.1270 in the King City/Monterrey area, there are a few out in Paso Robles that are good from what I hear as well.

As for hunter safety depending on where you live, if you are near Riverside county I would recommend Raahauge's in Norco. Let us know how everything ends up going.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu