Hiking with a Gun Fanatic

xjixta

Nov 10, 2014
Pacoima, CA
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to hunting or as I like to call it, hiking with a gun. I live in the San Fernando Valley, more specifically the Pacoima area. Anyways I've only gone out for deer two years, unsuccessful each time and have gone out for Dove (got 4 only). Ran across this website from another forum (calguns) and hope to learn more about hunting.

This year I went out to D11 and to D13 again for the general season with my Tikka T-3 in .308. Spotted a buck with single horns and my buddy lost track of him and the 2x2 that was behind him. He couldn't take the shot because they were behind each other and by the time I came around he was gone.

I'm also looking to get into bear at some point and bow hunting. Any help, information, and advice is welcome in any of these subjects and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ixta
(pronounced ick-stah)

Welcome Ixta.......Lots of great reads for whatever your hunting for here on SCH.......I suggest reading some of the permanent threads in your chosen species......Doves & deer are a good place to start your hunting career............ :D

ilovesprig said:
Welcome Ixta.......Lots of great reads for whatever your hunting for here on SCH.......I suggest reading some of the permanent threads in your chosen species......Doves & deer are a good place to start your hunting career............ :D

Thank you, I'm currently procrastinating on school work but I'll definitely take my time reading through. Dove was really fun, went out by the Colorado River for the opener last year. I would have filled my limit but I just had to be reloading when maybe about 5 or 6 flew right in front of me. One shot would have taken them all out. :( Oh well

I'm looking more into big game, get some meat in the fridge and better satisfaction I think.
Here are some pics from this weekend searching for deer.

Attachments

• ixta1.jpg
    ixta1.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 36
  • ixta2.jpg
    ixta2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 110
You've got the most important thing down.....Never go out without a camera......Nice pix...... ;D

Just one suggestion about wing shooting......Don't flock shoot. Pick a bird and concentrate on that one...Sometimes you'll get multiples with one shot (Scotchman's Double)...... ;)

motorhead said:
Welcome to the site..... Question?.... how do two deer get behind each other?

I guess they were standing in a way where shooting the 2x2 would also kill the other one. And as soon as my buddy moved it took off, unless the dumb young buck that just kept staring. I didn't question it.

Welcome to the SCH website and Forum xjixta. That is a good looking Tikka. Is that a VX-6 on top or a VXR?

xjixta said:
NBK said:
Welcome to the SCH website and Forum xjixta. That is a good looking Tikka. Is that a VX-6 on top or a VXR?
Thanks,
It's the VXR with Leupold mounts and rings. Scope was $500 + tax
Nice rig.

Hello. I live in the SANTA CLARITA VALLY. Looking for a place to hunt dove. My father would take me to Palmdale when I was a kid. I just don't remember where. Does anyone know of a place around the SCV??

william.hake.9 said:
Hello. I live in the SANTA CLARITA VALLY. Looking for a place to hunt dove. My father would take me to Palmdale when I was a kid. I just don't remember where. Does anyone know of a place around the SCV??

Sorry can't be more help. Only place I went dove hunting was by the Far East border.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu