Hog hunting?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all, I am new to hunting and was wondering if anyone would be open to taking my brother and I hug hunting? Or knew of any public land that we can go and hunt?

Welcome to SCH.......For "hug" hunting I suggest you go to any of the bars in South Mission, PB, and maybe for a little better class of animal, Del Mar or La Jolla......... ;D

Ya sorry I meant hog not hug lol. Cool thanks for the info. If you'd like to take me out and show me the ropes I'd appreciate it!

Kt,

I think for hugs you much better off by yourself.........Now for SD hogs........Think south of 8 these days and Lake Morena.......The guys in the know, aren't going to give up much on the few locations that have a few left.......For the most part, they've been eradicated. Especially here in north county.

ktkheatsfan said:
Thank if or when you go out hog hunting next you think I could tag along?

The guys you want to talk to are The Matagi and MJB.......Way better and they have the dogs.

You don't. They are mythical creatures who appear only when you've shown yourself to be worthy.
Seriously, pig hunting is great fun and I encourage you to pursue it. But pigs are scarce down here and I doubt anyone will shown you the ropes if you don't know the guys already. However, there are professional services you can hire to take you on a hunt, mostly north of LA. They are fun and instructive, and can fit your level of skill, experience and fitness. Doug McClanahan in San Diego has a fenced property you can hunt for a fee. For "fair chase" outfits, look into Tejon Ranch or Giant Sequoia Guide Service (sponsors SCH) up north. There are others as well.

Ya it kinda sucks when people don't see how much digging of information I really do what maps I have and don't what spots I've tried and haven't tried then when I resort to this form to possibly get help on hunting and want someone to show me the proper way to hunt a hog since I'm a new hunter and I've gone out many times and haven't gotton or even seen a hog yet they refer me to the mythical creatures.

Public land hogs are almost non-existent. I've seen very few hogs on public land. In my opinion I think killing a public land hog is harder then killing a public land deer..

TaftHunter said:
Public land hogs are almost non-existent. I've seen very few hogs on public land. In my opinion I think killing a public land hog is harder then killing a public land deer..
Anyone doing it successfully is using dogs, I suspect.

Bonejour said:
TaftHunter said:
Anyone doing it successfully is using dogs, I suspect.

Most likely. My family has killed maybe 10 public land hogs in the last 15 years, never used dogs. But now there is hardly any pigs where we use to hunt them..

TaftHunter said:
X2 hogs are way harder than public land deer I've seen maybe 12 legal bucks during deer season for the last 4 years and no confirmed sightings of pigs

D16hunter said:
TaftHunter said:
X2 hogs are way harder than public land deer I've seen maybe 12 legal bucks during deer season for the last 4 years and no confirmed sightings of pigs
Yep I've seen maybe 50-60 legal public land bucks over the last 4 years and only like 4 public land pigs. Odds are low..

Thank you guys for informing me of that. That must be why I haven't seen any all my times out. Being a new hunter and all makes me really question every decision I had while I was out there for my third and forth time.

ktkheatsfan said:
Ya it kinda sucks when people don't see how much digging of information I really do what maps I have and don't what spots I've tried and haven't tried then when I resort to this form to possibly get help on hunting and want someone to show me the proper way to hunt a hog since I'm a new hunter and I've gone out many times and haven't gotton or even seen a hog yet they refer me to the mythical creatures.

Sounds like your in the beginning stages of finding out just how hard it is to hunt public land hogs.

Let me ask you a question. After you spend another year and a half looking for them and finally find a group of pigs (and I hope you do). How many people are you willing to give that information to?

Honestly probably would be willing to trade if I found a hog spot all by myself but if someone took me out or told me I wouldn't tell anyone just due to the fact I would like to have a hunting buddy and friend and manly it's not my spot to give out. I have a friend that went rabbit and dove hunting and I had asked him if he would be willing to take me out cause he's my dads best friend and comes over like 2 times a month and he did nothing but laugh at me and he really wants to duck hunt I finally found someone willing to take me out duck hunting If I get any ducks I will have the pleasure of laughing back! Also my friend said I can't tell anyone where he's taking me or take any pictures or go out without his permission and if he finds out I am out there or told someone we will have problem and I really don't want to screw anything up so my lips are sealed with this!

ktk,

Here is your hot tip-Bryson for hogs. Around $300 and Deedee will show you where. She knows alot about hogs. Its private land she leases.

OTW, good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu