How are you guys seeing so many deer?...!!!!

I too want to thank all of you on this board. I humbly submit that I have been out of the circuit for a few years.
hopefully the next couple of years will be my best work. I live for the hunt. I have fun just getting out.
great advice from every one. & I am glad I joined this forum and will try to be a valid contributor.

LBH2

Reactions: Goyaałé
When I got home from my trip to VA, the book on hunting Muleys was here! Cool! My wife said I reminded her of Steve Martin running around with the New Phone Book over his head ;D
I'm about half way through it. Great read!

Okay, here is something I've learned from the book. Check out this pic, and post what you see. LP and NBK, thanks for the guidance. hegapedu.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

I felt the same way this year. I shot my buck during General season within the first 4 days. Then archery season started.. It seemed like all the deer just disappeared into thin air. No fresh tracks or even a doe at any if my good spots. It was only my second late season archery buck, so maybe there is a different strategy that needs to be used late in the season?

Sent from my iPhone

That's why i posted this photo. I would totally have missed the doe in this pic if it weren't for the info in this thread. I'm working on seeing the patterns of the parts of a deer, instead of looking for the deer itself.

Sent via Tapatalk

Reactions: Critter
It's a game. Some are much better at it then others. I have to work slow and be very thorough. I have friends that throw up binoculars and shout out numbers. I like to hunt with them. lol

Seeing them is only square 1. I'll see horns but can't get get a good point count and try to move to get a better look and loose that deer for a week mabey the remainder of The season.

Or u pass and they break there horns off. Bummer.

Saying this I'm over everything is it deer season yet.

One thing I see all the time are hunters moving too fast in the woods......if your not seeing deer before they see you your moving too fast or your too loud. I've tracked many of deer to their beds to put them down with the bow.

Glassing the best binos you can buy, beg, or steel makes all the difference. I know you guys are fans of 8 power lupies but I wouldn't even bother to look thru them 10's to start and German. Glare, low light & clarity is what makes the difference in good glass.

MJB said:
10's to start and German. Glare, low light & clarity is what makes the difference in good glass.

Hmmm...I will agree with the German part (I am a Leica fan) but 8x has more clarity than 10x and 8x brings in more light than 10x (all things being equal).

Just stating the facts...

I am a very big fan of 10 power and Swarovski are the best, they are a hell of an investment but if you are serious about the sport they are simply that. an investment

think of them as being more important than your rifle or bow. How you harvest them doesn't matter if you can't find them.

I will say that I bought my daughter a pair of 10 power Vortex's this year and they are really good glasses.

Having something to rest them on, having a bio harness, and being comfortable make all of the difference in the world.

I think there is something to the post about training your brain, I grew up in NE Washington and it was a game whenever we went somewhere I would see how many deer i could spot on a drive. I still do the something to this day with my kids. Yesterday I saw a big buck about 50 yards off the side of the Sepulveda pass at 330 PM.

As far as how long do you spend glassing an area I would say it depends on what you know about the area. I have spent an entire day in 1 spot and I have spent a few hours at certain times of day at another. I have a piece of property up in Coalinga and we have a spot that is like a deer highway. We have made the spot we glass from very comfortable and we have taken a lot of deer from there. I sat there from an hour before daylight until noon on the last day of the season last year I saw quite a few deer and a couple of decent bucks, just not what I was looking for. I needed to be on the road by 2 PM. I got up from my position at noon to stretch and gather my stuff. I was making quite a bit of noise, when I climbed off of the rocks a nice 4x3 jumped up from under where I was sitting. He was no more than 15 yards below me and I either never saw him come in or he had been there the whole day. and other deer had walked right passed where he was. I did not attempt a shot because he was moving at a good clip. my cousin got him that evening. and he got up from the same spot about 30 minutes before dark. somehow that buck slipped back in there in the hour that nobody was sitting there.

sometimes you can stare at a spot that you just have a gut feeling about and see an ear twitch, or a hot shine a bit

you won't see that in a cursory scan...

If you know the area, get as comfy as possible. get as well hidden as possible, and stay put as long as possible. its amazing how much deer move throughout the day.

If the wind shifts and I am in a bad spot. I give up and get out before I ruin a spot though. Take your time and you will be successful. If you get impatient, take the book with you. I have done that to give my eyes a rest from glassing, bring snacks. stay well hidden and remember, if you see a deer and they are not looking at you, you are doing it right... If everything you see is staring at you, they have known you were there for a long time....

Look for exceptions things that look out of place first then start picking it apart one twig at a time in the shade look for things that were not there last time you looked.

As for the 8 vs 10 yes they gather more light very little but more and may be clearer but when I can pick out tines and my buddy with his 2k 8's can't really see the deer I have to question how viable it is in big country...half the time I want 15's just to make sure it's worth the stalk........or it could be the hunter not the gear but when I look thru his binos they just limit my distance and when I grab my Minox 10's it just feels better

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Bonejour said:
Okay, here is something I've learned from the book. Check out this pic, and post what you see. LP and NBK, thanks for the guidance.
hegapedu.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

OK Don where is the Deer is it sitting by the oak tree laying down?

Ghost

Ghost said:
Bonejour said:
Okay, here is something I've learned from the book. Check out this pic, and post what you see. LP and NBK, thanks for the guidance.
hegapedu.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

OK Don where is the Deer is it sitting by the oak tree laying down?

Ghost
Yup. Center of the pic, far edge of the shade. You can see her ears.

Another book worth looking at is Public Land Mulies by David Long. Any pictures you have ever seen of Goliath were probably taken by David. He is semi-staff for the Eastmans.

Great post guys. I know it's old, but very helpful. I thought I was doing something wrong, now I know I just have to keep at it and get better. (Like everything else worth doing.) Thanks!

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu