How Times Have Changed

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
I was doing a google search and ran across this (not what I was looking for) and found it interesting... (from 1990)...

HUNTING--JC Penney has removed a line of Cotler clothing from its 1,330 stores after protests by the Wildlife Legislative Fund of America on behalf of hunters. The Environmental Protection Department line of clothing featured tags depicting hunters with a red X overlay and the slogan: "Absolutely no hunting of wild and free animals while wearing this garment." In withdrawing the line, JC Penney noted in a statement: "JC Penney realizes that this message was construed as for or against a position. . . . The company admits it has made a mistake."

Seems to me that nowadays most stores would embrace this type of thing instead of withdrawing the clothing line.

Interesting. They admitted they made a mistake and also gave validity to hunters complaints. Kudos to JCP. Add Cotler to my “do not buy” list.

Interesting. They admitted they made a mistake and also gave validity to hunters complaints. Kudos to JCP. Add Cotler to my “do not buy” list.
Don't get too excited. This is from 1990. I doubt JC Penneys would do this nowadays, which was the point of the post.

Don't get too excited. This is from 1990. I doubt JC Penneys would do this nowadays, which was the point of the post.
Well then retroactive kudos only. But also won’t assume the worst about JCP based on nothing.

Well then retroactive kudos only. But also won’t assume the worst about JCP based on nothing.

I wouldn't assume the worst about them either until they actually do something in a current situation like this. I'm just saying that I doubt they, or most companies today, would react that way now. Of course, any actual boycott or kudos would be withheld until they earn either by their actions.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu