how to paint decoys?

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey guys. I have a question. I was trying to get back into duck hunting this season but never made it. No decoys and my waders were junk.... Soooo im looking to next season already. I just picked up 24 duck decoys all needing a paint job of some kind. Ill be hunting the IV wister, finney rammer (maybe), san J and maybe henshaw. how should i paint them? what im a more likely to see down that way other then 1000's of coots.

Thanks. I have Sean coots in every water way and ditch in the IV. I don't mind them in tacos actually. Do other duck come into coots? I've never hunted ducks over decoys or blinds I've always jumped them on small ponds.

GSPman said:
Thanks. I have Sean coots in every water way and ditch in the IV. I don't mind them in tacos actually.

Oh man....... Don't say that , these yahoo's are going to start talking sh&$..

If I had to paint decoys from my one year experience I would paint them like coots. Easy all black. But I would have some wigeon an pintail also.

Paint them what ever your skill level let's you, complicated paterns are super hard to get right. Honestly my opinion is that ducks see the big color patches and care less about detail. You could paint they like Hollywood mallards

As far as coot tacos go........you guys scare me sometimes, stk and steeltown especially :p
I have hunted extensively over wore out decoys and I can't tell that the ducks care one way or another

1st off..........What kind of decoys are they?.........Not the brand, the species........Then paint them accordingly.......I feel shapes are more important than colors......If the duck is a pintail. Then accent will be a lot of white (very visible).....Mallards, you would accent the white ring on the neck.......Greenwing, you would accent the white stripe in front of the wing, etc.

I used 23 decoys almost the entire 2nd half of the season (Henshaw excepted).....9 widgeon, 4 pintail, 4 spoonies, 2 greenwing, and 4 mallards on the jerk string....Keep them separated by species & at least 6 feet apart except the 2 gw's & jerk string mallards.

Shot a limit at Henshaw on Sunday with 4 widgeon dekes.......Being on the X is way more important. If your not, then going big is generally the way to go......Lots of different situations.

Attachments

• IMG_4635.JPG
    IMG_4635.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0323.JPG
    DSCF0323.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 52
  • henshaw 12-1-12 003.JPG
    henshaw 12-1-12 003.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 57
thanks Sprig. i was hoping you would chime in. it looks like most of mine after seeing them in the light are mallards hens and drakes. Ill start with hitting just the accents and put them away for the summer. I little quality time with the wife painting these guys and ill want to put them away for a while and not look at them again for some time.

One other thing........Wal-Mart rattle can paint is your friend (flat tan, flat black, flat brown, flat white).........Accents by hand.

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFcQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waterfowlergear.com%2FDecoy-Flocking-Paint-Kits_c_164.html&ei=xm3JVL_SKJTVoASsnoKICw&usg=AFQjCNHjyfVvkmiGuV_aqDE2tl06EKbpDQ&sig2=E69CCfh5D8j2rIBD7bda9g&bvm=bv.84607526,d.cGU

When you decide what patterns to paint, here are some other tips (to add to the good advice you've already received):
1. Use a power washer to blast mud and loose paint off decoys. If you're just doing a touch-up, though, you might just want to use soap/water and a soft brush, then rinse very well. The paint will adhere better to a very clean surface.
2. Rustoleum flat oil-based paint, in the quart cans from the home improvement store, comes in a variety of colors, and worked pretty well for me for the large areas. If you want to try flocking them, this makes a pretty good base that is much cheaper than the adhesives that they sell for this purpose.
3. You can get cheapo tubes of oil-based (not acrylic) paint in a set, which you can then mix for your accents.
4. A matte clear coat (from a rattle can) can be applied over the paint to keep the shine down, but be careful! Give it a light dusting from 20" away, let it dry for 15 minutes, and then give it another quick dusting. If you overdo it, it shines even worse!
Here's one I made for a decoy swap out of Styrofoam coated with a 2-part resin, with glass eyes, and fully flocked using Rustoleum.
2012-04-29_07-23-18_423_zpse176aca2.jpg
2012-04-29_07-24-04_869_zpsd8d40d96.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-04-29_07-23-18_423_zpse176aca2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-04-29_07-24-04_869_zpsd8d40d96.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
Those look awsome. Thanks guys for all the tips. I've got a few different ones so I think ill do a few different things and see what works best

I've hunted over decoys that were completely beat up with hardly any paint on them and they still worked. I'm not saying it's ideal but don't get too hung up on it.... Like sprig said, shapes and overall color pattern matter more than fine detail on your deeks.

El Matavenados said:
When you decide what patterns to paint, here are some other tips (to add to the good advice you've already received):
1. Use a power washer to blast mud and loose paint off decoys. If you're just doing a touch-up, though, you might just want to use soap/water and a soft brush, then rinse very well. The paint will adhere better to a very clean surface.
2. Rustoleum flat oil-based paint, in the quart cans from the home improvement store, comes in a variety of colors, and worked pretty well for me for the large areas. If you want to try flocking them, this makes a pretty good base that is much cheaper than the adhesives that they sell for this purpose.
3. You can get cheapo tubes of oil-based (not acrylic) paint in a set, which you can then mix for your accents.
4. A matte clear coat (from a rattle can) can be applied over the paint to keep the shine down, but be careful! Give it a light dusting from 20" away, let it dry for 15 minutes, and then give it another quick dusting. If you overdo it, it shines even worse!
Here's one I made for a decoy swap out of Styrofoam coated with a 2-part resin, with glass eyes, and fully flocked using Rustoleum.

NOW, THAT'S A REDHEAD!........ :)

Attachments

• 2012-04-29_07-23-18_423_zpse176aca2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-04-29_07-24-04_869_zpsd8d40d96.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
From a different forum, but a good explanation on how to paint decoys......The airbrush is the key to this quality IMO.

.http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=986513

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu