Hunting Report & Physical Fit Importance

So much to add... Gear life time warranty. I kill gear and fast. I have a saw and clippers. Umm as for water this time of year for not a full day I'm bring a gallon and four additional liters. I'm going way too far for how hard it is and if I Arrow something I'm going to need all the water I can get. As for Josh he made incredible gains we didn't even have to wait that much anymore ha ha. ( he got soft feel free to PM Josh Peterson and ask him why he hasn't been hunting with me ). First aid I'm a big time slacker. I have one of those Beacon things it's it's in my gun safe. Unless I'm going somewhere Unfamiliar which still is not smart

. Don feel free to hit me up I will hike with you that Thick is no fun. I noticed there's ways around it sometimes what direction was the mountain face facing you were climbing?

Now I'm overtired but the farther you go the cooler stuff gets get away from people be prepared even if that means bringing sleeping gear

As for conditioning I don't really do anything anymore man hunting and Scouting is my conditioning but it never stops all your long I'm doing something

All great stuff here. Thanks gentlemen for all the input. Definitely agree that to find cool stuff like Johnny often posts, or what we came across on this outing, you have to go where no one else goes.

Great stuff Johnny.
but would it not be easier with a horse and a donkey.
ride in and camp my friend.
we need to think out maybe to make easier on us older guys.

that's my plan, and soon, put on cowboy boots, put on chaps.
pack the donkey, and ride in where it's possible.

camp the night. or more enjoy life.
horse and a donkey. all terrain vehicles.

Ghost

Bonejour said:
All great stuff here. Thanks gentlemen for all the input. Definitely agree that to find cool stuff like Johnny often posts, or what we came across on this outing, you have to go where no one else goes.

Yes Don very true.
while we still can

Ghost

CaptJgray said:
so how do they know that the ones that were never found did not have an SOS beacon???

just kidding

this is a great thread, and as I have told others that hunt with me and as I have been training my kids, the first thing that was taught to me by my grandfather was before you go in make sure you have a way out...

And don't ever shoot an animal in an area that is going to be difficult to get out of without one.

I have found myself passing up a lot of shots on animals that were in a bad spot just to end up finding them where i want them to be at some point. we all want to score a nice buck or pig, but I would much rather see my kids again or not have to deal with spoiled meat because I got pinned in somewhere and couldn't salvage it in time. Its fun to explore, but know your limitations. And remember your not gonna twist a knee at the top...

CaptJgray

that's actually a great question and I had to think about it. Josh can back me up on this one, he has read missing 411. so have I.
of course any one who had a beacon was found right. those who where never found the next of kin called the authorities. and one of the questions was did they have an SOS beacon.
Just so every one knows regardless why or how these people disappeared, they just vanished or found remains, like their clothes , teeth etc..
now there has been cases when hunters hunting alone in the wilderness have disappeared. and many all they found if any thing was their pants or boots.

Most hunters when Hunting with Partners have never disappeared. or if they had SOS Beacon. It has always been a Hunter at their top of their game, in perfect shape, and very knowledgeable of the woods. read Missing 411. The guy who wrote the book was an ex LEO. only states the facts and makes no conclusion what caused their disappearance. I know this is off topic. which I am bad about doing that. but Safety is a big issue. and I want all my friends out their to be safe.

Ghost

Those personal EPIRB's are well worth the money if you are going in deep.
I find it very foolish to think that you are ever prepared enough for anything. especially if you are alone.

tell people where you are going, and take plenty of supplies.

In my line of work people need to wear PFD's all day every day. (Personal Floatation Devises). I get asked by some of the younger kids why they need to wear them, "I am a great swimmer, or I surf all the time". My answer is always the same. If you end up in the water its very likely you will have been knocked into the water and have a broken limb. or you try to stop yourself on the way over the side and hit your head and now you are unconcious. How well do you swim when you have a broken arm and are knocked out?

im a strong hiker for a big guy, but not with a broken ankle...

Since I read one of the books in the missing 411 series and listened to hours of David Paulides interviews online I have never walked in the woods the same again. I always look over my shoulder now. I agree that you should have a firearm and an SOS beacon when out in the wilderness.

Josh Pearson said:
Since I read one of the books in the missing 411 series and listened to hours of David Paulides interviews online I have never walked in the woods the same again. I always look over my shoulder now. I agree that you should have a firearm and an SOS beacon when out in the wilderness.

It's guna get you gun or beacon your not safe it's a matter of time

I almost always hunt alone. But I constantly remember a friend who was out fishing on a jetty. He was boulder hopping and missed. His leg went down a crack in the rocks and tore his ACL. Thank god his wife answered the phone.

When you are by yourself you can't take the stupid chances you did as a kid.

I live by Cameron Hanes's quote!!!!!!! "Train like an athlete, eat like a nutritionist, shoot like a sniper, achieve your mountain dreams" Your only as good as your vessel and after being in the dessert on a hunt and running out of water four miles from the truck......... I defiantly had my reality check last season!! personally i am in the gym everyday doing high intensity training (high cardio/high rep supersets) to train my mind and body incase i ever get in a bad position i have the confidence in myself to get out of most sticky situations!!!!! as bad as i want to be in the field!!!!!! if i don't have a partner i can rely on i don't go its just not worth it

P.S. if any of you guys want to get in the gym and train with me i am more then happy to spread the warrior mindset (or just make a friend :-* )

Tony I like to stalk alone but have a buddy to check in with after the hunt. and I do the same for them.
my partners truck broke down last year I was there to assit. and I like shoot the S____ after the hunt, or target practice with bow with other hunters.

Jdrive sd619 I would like to hear more details about the desert hunt.

Ghost

Ghost said:
Jdrive sd619 I would like to hear more details about the desert hunt.

Ghost

Long story short.......
I was the eastern part of D16 with my buddy. We parked and walked up a massive mountain around 5 A.M. and began glassing around ten and after moving around the mountain to watch the surrounding areas I found an exceptional deer! about a five or six hundred yards into a valley we made a stock got in close to where he was until we realized he had got up and just saw him go per the next mountain so we followed by this point it was 11 and we were 3 miles in temp was 85 and due to the terrain we had gone through our water we had about three liters each we stopped and took a nap since the deer was gone and we didn't wake up until about 1 and realized how far we had followed the deer who disappeared into the mountains..... now its 1:30 and three miles from my truck it was 85-90 and it was literally all up hill extremely taxing on the body and defiantly made me question my abilities!!! i have aways been very active playing football and running track and wit not in high school!!!!!

What i have come to learn is a strong body is a strong mind: the stronger you make your body and your central nervous system the stronger your mind and mentality becomes Also changing my diet has been the number 1 most important thing in my life!! little to no processed foods i eat 90% paleo diet and its change my mood my body and my mind check it out

That sounds like a tough day. Just goes to show how a day hunting can be uniquely challenging, and illustrates why carrying extra items can pay off. "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." Sharing these experiences helps everyone think through his or her "Desert Island" gear list in a more specific and immediate way. Good thread.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu