I hit it hard this weekend - came up empty

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Hey guys. Here's my non-report for the weekend. I was trying to get off work wednesday but got called in. Same story friday. So Sat was my first chance to get out and look for some bone-heads.

Saturday I hiked into a spot with my wife. I had seen fresh sign there 2-3 weeks ago and I thought if I could just hit the right hour they might come out to play. We hiked in to the signy area and the old sign was there with nothing new. Not good. But anyway we went in a bit further and set up against some rocks, and waited. And waited. Saw another pair of hunters hike in and then head off another way. Hiked out in the dark and grabbed some burritos on the way home.

This morning I decided to head out to Pine Valley. I don't mind saying where since as far as I can tell there are no secrets out there. I must have seen 50-100 hunters out there between sunrise and 10 am, when I finally popped out up on Laguna. Along the way virtually every turnout had a truck in it, and some had half a dozen. On some of the high points I stopped to glass over hills and valleys. I could see guys way out (far from the road) in their blaze orange. I have read here, on public land you have to out work other hunters. At least some of these guys were trying. In all that I didn't see or hear any evidence of success.

Tonight I decided to give myself a break and hopefully bring home at least a little meat. I went to spot where I consistently pick up rabbits. A friend had also told me she saw quail. I rarely see anyone there, but tonight there were a dozen cars in the parking area. Tons of hikers, mountain bikers, etc. I hiked in 3 miles, for rabbits and quail, and didn't see a damn thing.

Now I'm home, sweaty and hungry, and trying to plan my next move. I have wednesday off for sure and another place I want to try. At the very least I'm hoping to get away from the crowds.

Sorry to hear about the lack of animals on your hunt. I know exactly how that goes and feels.

I had a similar experience to you MSteiger in that I got out Friday and hunted late until I had to walk out in the dark with no sign of anything (but tons of roadside hunters). Saturday I got out to my spot long before light and stayed sitting in that spot 6 hours or more before deciding to go back to my truck to exchange my .30-06 for my shotgun and go look for some rabbits in another location. Got (1) cottontail and (2) jack rabbits cleaned and put on ice. Then around 2:30pm I walked far down a trail and then I hiked into another area up a mountain side and onto a ridge to wait and glass. Never saw a deer, coyote or other large animal. I could see plenty of hunters trucks far off in the distance, but no animal movement.

I saw plenty of fresh tracks, but the area is so vast that happening upon a deer is like finding a needle in a hay stack... a very big hay stack. I'm hoping for better success next weekend and I wish a successful hunt for you your next time out. :) Keep at it and don't let it get you down.

msteiger said:
Hey guys. Here's my non-report for the weekend. I was trying to get off work wednesday but got called in. Same story friday. So Sat was my first chance to get out and look for some bone-heads.

Saturday I hiked into a spot with my wife. I had seen fresh sign there 2-3 weeks ago and I thought if I could just hit the right hour they might come out to play. We hiked in to the signy area and the old sign was there with nothing new. Not good. But anyway we went in a bit further and set up against some rocks, and waited. And waited. Saw another pair of hunters hike in and then head off another way. Hiked out in the dark and grabbed some burritos on the way home.

This morning I decided to head out to Pine Valley. I don't mind saying where since as far as I can tell there are no secrets out there. I must have seen 50-100 hunters out there between sunrise and 10 am, when I finally popped out up on Laguna. Along the way virtually every turnout had a truck in it, and some had half a dozen. On some of the high points I stopped to glass over hills and valleys. I could see guys way out (far from the road) in their blaze orange. I have read here, on public land you have to out work other hunters. At least some of these guys were trying. In all that I didn't see or hear any evidence of success.

Tonight I decided to give myself a break and hopefully bring home at least a little meat. I went to spot where I consistently pick up rabbits. A friend had also told me she saw quail. I rarely see anyone there, but tonight there were a dozen cars in the parking area. Tons of hikers, mountain bikers, etc. I hiked in 3 miles, for rabbits and quail, and didn't see a damn thing.

Now I'm home, sweaty and hungry, and trying to plan my next move. I have wednesday off for sure and another place I want to try. At the very least I'm hoping to get away from the crowds.

You are not alone buddy. hang in there. keep trying. The trick may be to get way back in there.

Well, Now that 2 reports and I dont feel alone in the chase of a Buck. I was only able to make it out on Sunday, Hiked in about 2 miles and Sat and waited till 11:30. Only saw birds in the field, no yote, no rabbit, no nada... Its like the 2nd week as sent all the deer to private land. Also - note repack your back pack after your hunt, or you will reach in there and find 1 energy bar and 2 waters...

Still got time - I feel like Thomas the Tank Engine - I think I can, I think I can...

Socalcowboy...

socalcowboy said:
Well, Now that 2 reports and I dont feel alone in the chase of a Buck. I was only able to make it out on Sunday, Hiked in about 2 miles and Sat and waited till 11:30. Only saw birds in the field, no yote, no rabbit, no nada... Its like the 2nd week as sent all the deer to private land. Also - note repack your back pack after your hunt, or you will reach in there and find 1 energy bar and 2 waters...

Still got time - I feel like Thomas the Tank Engine - I think I can, I think I can...

Socalcowboy...

Me too hunted saturday & sunday. all we saw was a bobcat. no deer. still hunting instead of spot & stalk. maybe time to change our tactics. move our deer stands to a new location. lots more traffic there. hoping get my D-16 tag filled. both hunts where with bow. I not giving up. three more week ends. Of course sunny all week end get nice cloudy monday. & cann't sneak out. work will not allow it.

longbowhunter2 said:
Me too hunted saturday & sunday. all we saw was a bobcat. no deer. still hunting instead of spot & stalk. maybe time to change our tactics. move our deer stands to a new location. lots more traffic there. hoping get my D-16 tag filled. both hunts where with bow. I not giving up. three more week ends. Of course sunny all week end get nice cloudy monday. & cann't sneak out. work will not allow it.

I would have loved to have seen a bobcat. I actually have a bobcat tag for this season. I saw one two years ago and haven't seen one since. Very stealthy, quiet cats.

Anyway, I hope you are able to get out and have some deer success, as I wish for us all. :)

AirRifleHunter said:
longbowhunter2 said:

I would have loved to have seen a bobcat. I actually have a bobcat tag for this season. I saw one two years ago and haven't seen one since. Very stealthy, quiet cats.

Anyway, I hope you are able to get out and have some deer success, as I wish for us all. :)

I see a lot never in the hunt. I really have the itch to kill everything. So the next one I see dies (missed one already this year)

I'm out in the field today. Followed some good deer trails right up a huge hill. Lots of sign. But the wind is howling, prob 20 gusting to 30. Not seeing any action.

Me and my brother hit it hard on the mountain this weekend with our bows, and put on 3 nice stalks in some great bucks, we just could never connect. 2 on the same buck (140"+) MULLEY that was so rutted up he was with six does all in heat , the where 2 other big forkies following the does and I was In the middle with no shot! Going back this weekend, and I'm hoping to play some string music in the hoyt!

Good luck and stay Elevated
Team Elevated

Just keep at it. I get to hunt more then most people and don't talk about the unsuccessful ones a lot. Stay in the field something will happen it's a matter of time

You should have never left. Preperation + oppertunity = success. You better pray he's still alive and hasn't been ran to the next county.

I'm hunting here In so cal, in San Diego county. Ill be back up there in Sat, and you never know what may happen. At least I have a few spots patterned with does and good bucks. I sure do miss Colorado though!

Now I'm bent, found out I got to work double time on Sat and Sunday, up I'm Lancaster. ... no hunting for me this weekend.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu