I think I broke my dog

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
So I have a 27 pound Basset/terrier mix that I've been training for upland hunting. She's 2 1/2 years old. She goes everywhere with me. Last season she didn't have any problems with the sound of my shotgun firings. She would just watch the bird drop & retrieve it. She would flush within gun range, she was doing great, But a few weeks ago I took her with me to sight in a couple rifles. After I took my first shot I noticed she wasn't anywhere around. When I walked over to my truck I found here hiding under my pedals. She was scared shit-less. I didn't fire any rounds after that. I just packed up & took her home. Now every time I open the safe she hides under the bed. Has anyone had this problem & have any ideas on how to fix it?

Nick,

Unfortunately, the only two hunting dogs I have ever owned that were gun shy were females (less aggressive)......The sound of a rifle is much sharper than that of a shotgun.......She's obviously spooked......That said, I would get a soft sounding gun, put it in the truck, and then drive somewhere and walk with her. After awhile, I would fire a shot......She really has nowhere to go, but to stay with you......Reinforce, her with a ball to retrieve or whatever she likes to retrieve (maybe even a dead bird). May want to start shooting a cap gun around the house or clang pans at dinner time as well......Seems to me, you'll basically have to start over.........2 cents & good luck.

I had this with two dogs working thru it with Zola now. Use that hunt drive to your favor and remain calm & assertive. I use the hunt drive to take over the fear soon they realize the boom means game is near.

If you are near prado come run her with my dog or find others near you do some training so she can learn from other dogs that it's ok.

Thanks for advice. When I got home I grab her training wing and my cap gun that I started training her with. As soon as she saw what I had she got excited. So that was still a good sign. After awhile of playing I pulled the trigger on the cap gun about 30yrds away & she immediately stopped turned towards me with her tail tucked, ears back and ran under my boat. So it looks like I'll start over. Oh well. A lesson learned.

Slow and easy, no shooting for now just birds that they can chase and capture, build the desire now and lets talk about discipline and gun noise training when they reach six months

GSPman said:
If you are near prado come run her with my dog or find others near you do some training so she can learn from other dogs that it's ok.

I'm about 45min away. I might have to take you up on that offer

"Broke" is usually a good term.... But I digress. My dog has never been gun shy, that being said, I don't shoot pistols or rifles around him. They are just too loud. Make the "bang" fun again. Play fetch and fire off a cap gun so she associates the "bang" with play. Take her out to shoot some clays and do some retrieves. Keep her in the truck with the windows up, shoot a round of clays. Crack the windows, shoot another round. Lower windows more, shoot another round, all the while going back to praise her. Eventually let her out and shoot some more.

Back