I took the plunge.

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Drewski2324, May 10, 2017.

1. Drewski2324

Drewski2324 Active Member

Well I finally took the plunge after years of talking about it. After doing a lot of research I settled on Lyman.

IMG_0957.JPG

Only thing not pictured here is the rotary tumbler. The press is under these some where. It was even inspected by a very reputable source:

IMG_0958.JPG

Here are some words of wisdom for newbies based on the stupid things I have already done:

1) It is un-wise to check to see if a cartridge was primed after you have already poured powder into it. Long story short, you will need a broom.

2) It is wise to put powder into the cartridge before you seat the bullet. Luckily I didn't have to find this one the hard way.

3) It is wise to lube your cases before forming them. Those little bastards are hard to get out of the die.

WaterDawg, xjon, Bonejour and 2 others like this.
  2. Nicholas909

Nicholas909 Suns out, Guns Out

Well congrats & welcome to the world of reloading.... Just remember to take your time. Theirs no reason to rush.

Drewski2324 likes this.
  3. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer Happiness is a warm gut pile

Congrats, Welcome to the world of custom ammo and better performance than you can buy across the counter. You can take this the the ultimate extreme with accuracy if you desire to do so. Lots of folks on the forum that would be willing to lend advice. I've been reloading since 1974 and I know others here that have that much or more experience so don't hesitate to ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Drewski2324, NBK and Nicholas909 like this.
  4. rbduffer

rbduffer Member

Congrats on the new hobby!
    The good news is that you know that your fifth shot is the same as you're first four.
    The bad news is that you can't blame the ammo when you pull it:eek:

5. Drewski2324

Thank you guys for the kind words. I do have one question for you all. When doing load development what system do you use to test different loads. For example I am working up a load for my .260 and I tried to do a ladder test at 200 yards. The problem is that I was not getting enough vertical dispersion to really nail down specific load. I was able to get a range of charges to go back and do the test again. Is there something better?

6. BBH

BBH New Member

Take a look at Dan Newberry's optimal charge weight load development for a good explanation of ladder testing

optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewski2324 likes this.
  7. Drewski2324

Thank you BHH, I am reading up on his concept now.

8. xjon

xjon Active Member

Almost 1.5 months reloading...hope you're enjoying it. Would like to hear any updates you have...including more "words of wisdom". Found that funny.

9. WaterDawg

WaterDawg Member

I admire anyone who's mastered reloading or even taken on the challenge. Congrats! I'm too A.D.D and would end up like Elmer Fudd with the gun barrel all splintered and peeled back like a banana. I was inspected by Jesus and found woefully deficient.

rbduffer likes this.
  10. BakoHNTR

BakoHNTR Member

Please keep up updated on your progress and experiences. I am planning on making the leap very soon myself (can't afford these high dollar OTC rounds much longer). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk