Imperial Valley Coyote Scouting Tips

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
Hey Everybody,
I'm planning my next coyote attempt at Imperial valley, after an hour or 2 E-Scouting I've decided I'm probably ready to get dirty.

what are some tips for scouting in these super barren conditions?? the good news is I'm somewhat familiar with plaster city and I have a green sticker dirtbike I can use to travel around from plaster city staging area.

Thus far I've been unable to even find or hear coyotes' and I think its because I'm not spending enough effort researching.

give some tips like time of day, things to look for in these desert conditions, etc.

If I can just go out and atleast find out where I can hear them at or some signs of living, I can plan a follow-on hunt.

Reactions: Daq80
Are you really scouting them or just unsuccessfully hunting?? If coyote is on your mind always have a gun

I haven't scouted before. I've gone to an area and tried @ night w/ no luck.

granted try #1 was way too late in the day and I was totally ill-prepared (5am)
Try #2 I think was a legit chance and did a lot of things right..but didn't even hear any howls or anything and was at night (1am)

Reactions: Daq80
I mean is the best way possible really to just find a little spot with some elevation and start making some e-sounds at night??

1st off....And I'm no predator hunter....But, this is a tough time of year for anything.....Most animals are VERY nocturnal. And desert animals are even more so.....Try the desert edges of farm lands.....Westmoreland area (westside) is another good place to start.

ps......Do you fish?

Reactions: Stump7100
I don't fish, did plenty of spearfishing/lobstering when I worked @ a dive shop and learned that if I was going to do ocean hunting, that's the way that interested me.

I'm not afraid to go at night, I think it makes it fun, cooler (temp wise..cuz holy hell I'm not hunting in 100*), and most importantly beautiful to be out at night. I just bought a whole light setup

couple things.... one plaster city is a joke,

second just go hunt. Do not restrict your hunting to only night time. If they are hungry they will come! Do your research in the field you will not kill anything at home. Just look for water, food, and cover and when you find all three you will find coyotes. As SDBirds said "Make some sounds of death they will come find you" coyotes eat 24/7 365 if you are not hunting in the daylight you are just doing it for you not the coyotes. it might be stupid hot to you but to them its just another day in the valley

couple things.... one plaster city is a joke,

second just go hunt. Do not restrict your hunting to only night time. If they are hungry they will come! Do your research in the field you will not kill anything at home. Just look for water, food, and cover and when you find all three you will find coyotes. As SDBirds said "Make some sounds of death they will come find you" coyotes eat 24/7 365 if you are not hunting in the daylight you are just doing it for you not the coyotes. it might be stupid hot to you but to them its just another day in the valley

That's a really good assessment. I will take this into mind and re evaluate where I will hunt down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend a few hours driving around locating the coyotes before the hunt. Park the vehicle, use your ecaller or open reed hand call to howl a few times, make note of the spots where coyotes respond to you and then go back to those spots after you're finished scouting and play your distress calls/coyote vocalizations. This tecnique is not a guarantee for calling in coyotes but if the coyotes respond at least you will know they're in that particular area. This is a technique that competition hunters use so that they don't waste time cold calling an area where there are no coyotes present.

Last edited by a moderator:
perfect I'll do that!! I'm planning an early morning dirtbike trip around that whole IV area heading up to some water spots I see at about 4-5am and I'll bring my caller w /me

only reason I'm so persistant on the dirtbike is because my truck is 2wd (or 1wd as I like to say because it has a open differential ) and getting stuck out in the middle of the dessert is not on my to do :)

use google earth, map out the roads next to a river or canal which will have lots of brush and trees, pull up quietly dont slam your doors,
walk in 50 yards and start calling, shouldnt have any trouble with 2wd, ps wear your snake gaiters

Attachments

• 20160731_074813.jpg
    20160731_074813.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Damn that's a big mother. I turned down the snake gaitors after trying them on. They seem really crappy made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$40,000.00 in medical bills because of a snake bite because gaitors seemed crappy will cure you. Having seen the drumstick size chunk cut out of a snake bit hunter calf inspired me.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is bothering the hell out of me. looks like White Water Outdoors Gaiters have good reviews and are way better looking then the shitty ones I tried @ bass pro. Soon as Cabelas website stops falling face first I'll buy some.

I got the Rattler Brand gaiters for Christmas a few years back......I don't hunt without them these days.

.005.JPG

yeah you guys win. those Rattler brand are like 180ish if I remember searching right. Regardless, I've been a little weary in my past 2 endeavors as it was clear I would barely be able to see a snake if one was about and was a little freaky.
these will arrive before my next try

upload_2016-8-3_13-51-58.png

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu