Imperial Valley Coyote Scouting Tips

Bonejour: the turtle skins Gaiter, how are they in breathability department? My cousin who hunts GA uses them and he says they're hot but then again, everything is hot and wet there. Was wondering how your comfort is in the west coast environment?

Macsteve: While you're out...think about your scent and movement. If you're gonna be still, look upwind and only move your eyes. Belly down. But if you want to kick them up then roost every brush you find while you have a piece of mac strapped to your pipe!

get it?...Mac steve...mac karel....crack myself

Bonejour: the turtle skins Gaiter, how are they in breathability department? My cousin who hunts GA uses them and he says they're hot but then again, everything is hot and wet there. Was wondering how your comfort is in the west coast environment?

Macsteve: While you're out...think about your scent and movement. If you're gonna be still, look upwind and only move your eyes. Belly down. But if you want to kick them up then roost every brush you find while you have a piece of mac strapped to your pipe!

get it?...Mac steve...mac karel....crack myself

xjon,

I have a pair of Turtleskins and they do get hot, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Despite the heat, they're pretty light and comfy though. And they give me peace of mind when stomping through high grass and brush during the spring turkey season. I almost got hit a couple years ago and will never forget that.

Thanks for the report regarding the turtleskins. My cousin sending me the gaiters to try out.

perfect I'll do that!! I'm planning an early morning dirtbike trip around that whole IV area heading up to some water spots I see at about 4-5am and I'll bring my caller w /me

I went out coyote hunting and calling around 4-5 times hard before being successful. Be patient and keep at it. They're out there without a doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a little fishing / yote call this weekend. caught 1 stripped bass about 3 pounds put up a great fight. Did a quick yote call around 9a.m. it was already 95 degrees out and after 8 minutes had one at 25 yards doing a running pass he never stopped for a clear shot but we still opened up on him since we hadn't called for yotes in about 5 months the adrenaline was full force. We missed and the darn yote pissed and pooped as he was running away. we will get him next time.

Reactions: Goyaałé
For the Yotes, be camoed, be still and sit somewhere with your silouette broken up like a bush. I prefer the wind in my face as yotes have good sniffers and will scent you. You will not always get a howl response, I just pick a spot that looks good, walk out a ways and set up the caller. In fact, the dogs I have killed never made a sound when charging to the call or before being spotted.

They are all over the valley, I like the river bottom areas like the new river and the Westmorland area like Sprig said. Can't kill em on the computer, it's a lot of trial and error.

Lots of good info here... http://www.varmintal.com

For the Yotes, be camoed, be still and sit somewhere with your silouette broken up like a bush. I prefer the wind in my face as yotes have good sniffers and will scent you. You will not always get a howl response, I just pick a spot that looks good, walk out a ways and set up the caller. In fact, the dogs I have killed never made a sound when charging to the call or before being spotted.

They are all over the valley, I like the river bottom areas like the new river and the Westmorland area like Sprig said. Can't kill em on the computer, it's a lot of trial and error.

Lots of good info here... http://www.varmintal.com
Shot a yote off of Forester about 7 miles before Westmorland. Called in 3 that morning. Female Coyote call seems to always work.

Yeah probably going out tomorrow and attempt to call a yote in before I start Dove hunting.

Any tips for Bobcats? Oct 15th I will be out by the Orchards outside of Calipat trying to hunt some down.

kitty cat tip #1 do a longer soak on your stand. They sometimes take for ever to cover ground and get with in shooting distance.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu