Its been a long three seasons. Finally a Newbie.

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
Wow let me start off by saying the guys at Fine Firearms in La Mesa are great. After cruising around checking out some store I end up at Fine Firearms to look at some handguns since I just recently turned 21. After talking with John for a bit and checking out some guns, hunting came up. Little did I know that the Facebook page I follow and marvel over its posts and pictures claimed to be from D zones I realize the organization is located right in my backyard.

I am a self proclaimed hunter... No body in my family hunts, I have had very limited guidance when it comes to hunting and have had to teach myself with the help of youtube and other informational forums and such. So far after three years of hunting hard in D16 with a buddy, i have crossed countless does and have had one opportunity at a buck that I blew.

My first couple seasonsIi limited my self to Otay Mountain with very little success but this last season, I decided to go out side of my comfort zone and hunted south east D16 and everywhere in between.

I really want to increase my success, I hunt at least three days a week during the season from before sun rise to dark. I love it, its addicting, and there is so much to learn about nature and myself. One of the biggest things i have learned about hunting is that its not just about the kill, its about the love of the outdoors and the conservation of nature. Hunting has humbled me and has sank its hook in me as well.

I plan on applying for instate hunts(I'm a college student... can't afford out of state applications yet), I know the odds are very slim and the draw here is tough but hopefully
I can build up some good points and draw some good tags in the future. I plan to apply for Antelope (Lassen Valley) ,elk (Owens valley area), Bighorn sheep (Orocopia Mountains). I still am not to sure about the application guidelines especially on premium tags and such f deer tags but i find myself researching and checking out Big Game Hunting Digest at least once a day. On my deer tag application i plan to apply for D16, D12, A22. At the very least i hope to draw D16, worst case scenario i will get an AO at an attempt to get out in nature and enjoy this Landscape.

Any info or guidance will be much appreciated I hope everyone gets success(their own opinion of success) this coming season. I hope I am lucky enough to meet some good people who all share a common passion and goal. Good Luck!!! and Thanks in advance.

JD,

Welcome to SCH........You may want to add turkey hunting to your resume of hunting......Great excuse to get out in the local mountains and fine tune some areas for your D-16 tag (which you'll have no problem getting)......I would add you should start getting points for X9-A/B and or G-3......Really good areas in the Sierra's for deer.

Welcome. You've been out doing the work with your boots and it shows. Success will come.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu