IV Hunting Regs & Maps

MJB said:
Yeah but your shoulder or arm can pay the price
That kind of bruise doesn't come from impact on the biceps in the arm. It is old blood that percolated down from the deeper tissues in the shoulder, under the deltoid. Usually takes a couple of days to reach the surface where you can see it. He may have mounted it a little far out on his shoulder, but looks to me like he just shot a lot of heavy loads with an unforgiving gun. In other words, does not look like operator error to me. 2 cents.

About pigeons.. I know everyone shoots em, I sure enjoy dropping em when they fly by. I know the regs say there's no season on em but has anyone ever heard of someone getting ticketed for it? Just wondered.

SurfNHuntSD said:
About pigeons.. I know everyone shoots em, I sure enjoy dropping em when they fly by. I know the regs say there's no season on em but has anyone ever heard of someone getting ticketed for it? Just wondered.

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4003.0

I have talked to the local game warden in the IV (Jason Green).....He told me that it was a misprint in the regulations.....Feral pigeons have always come under the regs of USDA (Feds).

Legal Status per USDA

"Feral pigeons are not protected by federal law and most states do not afford them protection. State and local laws should be consulted, however, before any control measures are taken. Some cities are considered bird sanctuaries that provide protection to all species of birds".

So, your rolling the dice so to speak. Depending on the warden and his interpretation of the law is no bueno in my book......Me personally, I don't shoot them.

ilovesprig said:
I have talked to the local game warden in the IV (Jason Green).....He told me that it was a misprint in the regulations.....Feral pigeons have always come under the regs of USDA (Feds).

Legal Status per USDA

"Feral pigeons are not protected by federal law and most states do not afford them protection. State and local laws should be consulted, however, before any control measures are taken. Some cities are considered bird sanctuaries that provide protection to all species of birds".

So, your rolling the dice so to speak. Depending on the warden and his interpretation of the law is no bueno in my book......Me personally, I don't shoot them.
Thanks Steve. I remember they were in the regs a couple years ago and then disappeared out of the blue. Good to know, I'll avoid as well.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Upland-Game-Birds

Spotted Dove, and Ringed Turtle Dove No limit

I'm new in hunting and on the forum. In looking at the region 4 map, are the brown areas public or private? I understand that those are the areas where one can hunt dove in those regions, but do I have to make contact with anyone before hand?

Don't know what map you're looking at, but region 4 is north of the IV......Region 6.

.https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regions/4

Socal_Sapper said:
I'm new in hunting and on the forum. In looking at the region 4 map, are the brown areas public or private? I understand that those are the areas where one can hunt dove in those regions, but do I have to make contact with anyone before hand?

Fellas, correct me if I'm wrong here:

Also make sure you know what area controls the hunting field. Typically, DFW can plant birds in fields on either side of the interstate. West Side has DFW areas that are lead free. East Side has no wildlife areas and you can shoot lead for the time being.

ilovesprig said:
Don't know what map you're looking at, but region 4 is north of the IV......Region 6.

Sorry, was referring to the map in the original post of this thread.

Socal_Sapper said:
ilovesprig said:

Sorry, was referring to the map in the original post of this thread.

Ok......The answer to your original question is.....YES......You can hunt all those brown areas......But as stated, the areas that are on Imperial W.A. (Wister & Finney/Ramer Units) are lead free.....If you hunt the wildlife area side, you must sign in as well.....Also to note, the Wister Unit side is now closed for the waterfowl season, no more upland hunting till next September.

Hope this clarifies the question some........ ;)

Can anyone here tell me if its legal to hunt turkeys with a 12gauge here in california? I am confused by migration birds cant hunt them with anything larger than 10 ga.

A 10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge.....And yes, it's legal
Oh dang! I tought it was the other way around 12 ga. Larger than 10 ga. But im glad I ask now I feel better and confidence going turkey hunting with my 12 ga. Pump action shotgun. Thanks so much.

Oh dang! I tought it was the other way around 12 ga. Larger than 10 ga. But im glad I ask now I feel better and confidence going turkey hunting with my 12 ga. Pump action shotgun. Thanks so much.
Non lead, besure to memorize the ca. fish and game laws.
The they checking every one.
Don't use a gobble call on public land to dangerous. Also
Read the upland post here that Ilovesprig (Steve) posted and others
Lot of good stuff.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu