Jr GTeam AZ Javelina Adventure

Gteam2

Oct 24, 2013
Jr Gteam members Timothy, Joaquin and Adam were able to get things done on javelina this past weekend. Arizona has been good to us for the past few years and was exceptional this weekend. Gil and his boys left on Friday to start hunting on Saturday. Joaquin and I would join them on Sunday due to an 8 mile race we had to run on Saturday and then a soccer playoff game for Joaquin only an hour after the race. I'm glad he has the energy and got it done. The team won and has another game on December 3rd. Well we set out at 3:30 am after some needed rest on Sunday morning and caught up to them by 11:00 am.
On arriving we got news on the radio that Timothy had dropped a Javelina and Adam almost got a shot and they were just finishing getting the animal in the pack. Once we joined up with them we decided to head in the direction they had last seen the herd move to. We set up on a ridge top to glass when the weather decided to change things up and the wind picked up and dropped the temps quite a bit. We knew the Javelina wouldn't be moving as much so I decided to make a move to drive some brush line and rock piles in hopes of pushing some critters out but no go. So with things looking like we were going to get hit with some heavy rain we made the move in the direction of Gils truck. As we were working our way off the mountain we hit a patch of scrub oak that had great sign, extremely fresh and Gil was mentioning to me that we should have stayed low when Joaquin spots Javelina no more than 30 yds from us. Gil took Adam to get him in position to shoot and I Joaquin as the Javelina start scrambling through the brush, about 50 yds out they pop out into a clearing and offer a quick shot where Joaquin is able to shoot but misses his first attempt but is able to recover quick and took a second shot dropping his javelina. The herd dove into the nearest draw and out of sight but Gil and Adam were able to get over the top of the draw giving Adam an opportunity and dropped his at 80 yds. with one well placed shot.
It was great being out in the hills with the kids and sharing our love for hunting and the outdoors. I can't thank Gil enough for taking the time to get camp set up and find Javelina before we even got there. Really proud of Timothy, Adam and Joaquin being able to get out and cover ground at our heals to get the job done! Have to give props to Arizona for their amazing opportunities they give to Jr Hunters. Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• IMG_9854 (2).PNG
    IMG_9854 (2).PNG
    590.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9819 (2).JPG
    IMG_9819 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9820 (2).JPG
    IMG_9820 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9810.JPG
    IMG_9810.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9809.JPG
    IMG_9809.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
That's awesome. I've been wanting to get out and hunt Arizona but I would not know where to start.

Great job as always getting the kids out.

Reactions: Gteam2
Very cool hope I can get one in January with my bow. What unit were you guys in?
Truduct thanks! We were in central Az for this Jrs only hunt. Good luck in January, what unit are you hunting? Message me for specific unit.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I've been wanting to get out and hunt Arizona but I would not know where to start.

Great job as always getting the kids out.
Gspman, thanks! there's great hunting in most of the state. You can get a good idea about the units from the stats put out by game and fish annually. When you compare success rates to what we deal with here in Ca you'll be amazed.

Jr Gteam members Timothy, Joaquin and Adam were able to get things done on javelina this past weekend. Arizona has been good to us for the past few years and was exceptional this weekend. Gil and his boys left on Friday to start hunting on Saturday. Joaquin and I would join them on Sunday due to an 8 mile race we had to run on Saturday and then a soccer playoff game for Joaquin only an hour after the race. I'm glad he has the energy and got it done. The team won and has another game on December 3rd. Well we set out at 3:30 am after some needed rest on Sunday morning and caught up to them by 11:00 am.
On arriving we got news on the radio that Timothy had dropped a Javelina and Adam almost got a shot and they were just finishing getting the animal in the pack. Once we joined up with them we decided to head in the direction they had last seen the herd move to. We set up on a ridge top to glass when the weather decided to change things up and the wind picked up and dropped the temps quite a bit. We knew the Javelina wouldn't be moving as much so I decided to make a move to drive some brush line and rock piles in hopes of pushing some critters out but no go. So with things looking like we were going to get hit with some heavy rain we made the move in the direction of Gils truck. As we were working our way off the mountain we hit a patch of scrub oak that had great sign, extremely fresh

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu