kern water fowl resi

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
hey all, My son drew number 15 for kern. we have never hunted kern. our limited duck hunting has been a few private ponds and wister. Is it like wister as to the check in procedure. any one been recently? any one have any advise? binds or free range? how far of a walk to the blinds? I dont even know what time the check in is.

thanks

Doug,

I was there a couple weeks ago.....We took blind 2 (3 guys & 19 birds).....You probably won't get one of the premium blinds with res #15 (2, 4, 10).....Things do chance though.....I had blind 11 last year, and we got 2 limits (January).....There are no short walks.....1 mile about the shortest.....The free roam Unit 2 is the best IMO right now and has a lot of shallow water & islands.....1A is a big walk for a youngster and the water can be deep.....If FR 2A is open that is good too (probably best, if it's just opened).

There is a driving tour around the hunting unit.....I suggest getting there early and scouting some (with binos).....There's no camping other than the night before.....They start 2 1/2 hours before shoot time.....We stay in a hotel in Lost Hills and drive over in the morning (15-20 minutes).....They call numbers and you go up to trailer accordingly.

Here's the latest hunt results.....And 2A is open.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Program.html&usg=AOvVaw2tuetobciWME3atqK_V1SR

Enjoy. What date is it for?

It may be timed very well. Stay all day. Depending on the weather you can decoy big ducks well into the afternoon.

You will have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Never hunted Kern. Looked at the averages for it for last week. Pretty decent for what CA is shooting right now. Over a 2 bird average with Spoonicus and Gads taking the top two spots. Great chili material to me. Like Ilovesprig mentioned about the free roam being good. #1 tip if you're going free roam is to travel light to stay mobile, but make sure you bring something to conceal well with. Minimal decoys, especially now with how many ducks we have at the moment. Not worth the large spread. If you see the birds dropping into a different pond or area of the pond......MOVE! I freelanced NVRs for many years and the best two things you can do for yourself is 1) stay mobile and 2) concealment. I always bring a portable, camo burlap temp blind to throw up takes minutes to setup and pays major dividends. These pictures are at wister so they are setup on the check, which you may not have the luxury of having elsewhere. Just for reference, the foundation of these blinds are the camo burlap with 4 plastic garden fencing poles brushed down with natural vegetation. Lightweight, easy to set up and take down. Used the same concealment method in free roam refuges. Also, if you decide to go this route, bring a handheld folding saw of some sort to cut up some brush and so you don't cut up your hands pulling it out. Good luck! Give us a report!blind 1.jpeg blind 2.jpeg

SS,

All great advice.....The other thing that can be used in the free roam at Kern is a good sled....I had the XL, but my friends XXL (Jet sled) was even better.....His could carry his dog stand as well as more decoys and other stuff.

You can see how shallow much of the water is.....Wading stick, mud seat, and a directors chair are good too.

.022.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu