Know Your Ducks Part 3

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:
Sprig, you say common in our area, yet all your pictures are 20 years old! Havnt been taking the camera out lately?
One other thing, in my opinion, if you can't tell what species of duck is flying by, or be able to tell hens from drakes, you shouldn't be duck hunting. Might as well go shoot skeet or Eurasian dove if you just want to shoot or kill something.

Might not want to call out the guru of duck hunting in So cal. Steve does more for So Cal water fowling than God! ;)

I didn't call him out"it was a joke I guess I just forgot the :). And the other "rant" was because I've seen people shooting at anything that flies or sky busting and it's disappointing. It was meant to coincide with being a responsible hunter, part of which is identifying the target. Sorry it was taken out of context.

Adstaxidermyshoppe said:
I didn't call him out"it was a joke I guess I just forgot the :). And the other "rant" was because I've seen people shooting at anything that flies or sky busting and it's disappointing. It was meant to coincide with being a responsible hunter, part of which is identifying the target. Sorry it was taken out of context.

Ads,

I did not take it as a "call out".....Sounds like you have a passion for 'fowling.....It's all good..... ;D

ps.....I agree about being able to ID birds in flight.....Very difficult for new duck hunters....In an attempt to save them some serious money. Pictures were added to at least let them know what they have in their hand.....Your pictures may help as well..... 8)

Found this app called "Merlin bird ID". Pretty sweet app for all kind of bird id's (I have ducks unlimited too but this one is different.) You can see all birds or search by region, time of year, size, colors, behavior/location. Nice quality pics of males and females. Check it out.

That app is awesome. I've been using it for over a year. Completely FREE. It's great! For my in-blind bird ID book I use the one produced by Delta Waterfowl. It really is one of the best. The only downside is it doesn't have silhouettes of birds of the wing.

http://www.thedeltastore.com/deltastore/product.php?productID=WATERFOWLID

8SteelTown said:
Found this app called "Merlin bird ID". Pretty sweet app for all kind of bird id's (I have ducks unlimited too but this one is different.) You can see all birds or search by region, time of year, size, colors, behavior/location. Nice quality pics of males and females. Check it out.

This really is an amazing app.

When i hear the word spoon i think of the best day of my life... the Full Bull Limit. Once in a life time i tell ya. Some good father son bonding time over a pile of dead boot lips

Attachments

• 20141227_111349.jpg
    20141227_111349.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: Slayersmith
SluiceCoot said:
Am I the only one who thinks the drake spoonie is one of the prettiest ducks?
You might be.

A nice old bull wigeon is pretty damn awesome. A big bull sprig is up there too.

Not to mention harlequins, woodys, and mandarins.

There are others we don't shoot in the states that are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How about this beauty I saw up at Gray Lodge Friday.......1/2 widgeon, 1/2 mallard....... 8)

Attachments

• 091.JPG
    091.JPG
    773.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 52
Very cool bird Steve!

And sluice, I don't think drake spoonies are the prettiest, but they are definitely one of the coolest. Striking colors plus the funky boot lip makes for a very unique bird. Have been trying to get one in full plumage for the wall for quiet a while. People think I'm joking, but I'm completely serious haha.

Gray Lodge WA was awesome.........1000's upon 1000's of waterfowl.........Here's a pretty cool picture too.

How many different waterfowl do you see in this picture?

.033.JPG

Last edited:
Surf Scoters in Long Beach Harbor

Attachments

• 20151228_092545.jpg
    20151228_092545.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu