Last try for turkeys

DoubleTrouble

Sep 8, 2016
Took my 10 year old Jack out today for one last turkey hunt on public land.
This is our first turkey season.
We are set up at gray. Sounds like a hundred yotes are yappin right where the birds should be. Bummer. Birds are shock gobbling back at them. The birds are on private land from 300-1000+ yards away from us.
The sun starts coming up. Jack gets a few gobbles back at him from his box call. It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! We hear a hen nearby, putting & occasionally clucking... we can't see her... there is a ridge between us. Sounds like she's right next to us.
Then we see a group of 8 birds 1000 yards to our left on private. We call to them... they look our way... then continue feeding. They eventually go out of sight.
A while later... we see another group of 5 birds... very far to our right... about 800 yards away. Jack calls to them... gets a gobble... but, they are not coming our way... they're feeding and eventually disappear.
Around 9am we call it. Jack gets the hen decoy while I start loading the backpack. When he gets back to our blind with the decoy. We hear a gobble.
There is a group of birds much closer this time (300 yards). He reloads his gun. I'm glassing... I see 5 jakes & 1 guy with his beard dragging on the ground. We can't believe it! We try some soft purrs & yelps... they all look our way. But, they're not coming. After watching them for about 1/2hr... we stop calling for a while & Jack sneaks out to put the decoy back. We wait a bit then call. They look & ignore us. We watched and called to them for another 1/2hr before they eventually wandered off. So frustrating!

Nobody says turkey hunting is easy!

Sounds like you guys have a great spot. Next year should be very productive for you guys. Bummer it didn't work out.

Phil,

Turkey hunting is the greatest.....And experiences like yours with Jack will stick with you both till next season.....Congrats for getting after them this year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu