Lead-free .22 LR ammo?

congrats on getting out and giving it a try. don't worry it'll all come together at some point. the more your out the more you learn. get a mouth call for yotes and give that a try. get some big 5 binos for $30 bucks and start glassin'. once you get into the sport/lifestyle a bit more you can always upgrade equipment. jacks are fun to hunt and if you bust one and he takes off on you they usually don't run tooo far if you don't shoot, then you can plan your stalk and get him. good luck don't worry about pics they can out great.

I fully agree with what's been said. The first step toward success is getting out in the field. From there you will become more comfortable with everything (holding the gun and being ready to use it, taking the safety off as final part of the motion of aiming, seeing wildlife which is mostly hidden, moving and stopping to glass or catch your breath before going over a knoll).
Congrats on getting out there and it sounds like you enjoy the experience!

Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement and advice!! What an awesome group of people! When I first started looking into hunting, I never would have guessed I'd find such a welcoming and helpful community. I'm blown away.

ivhunter: I'll definitely take your advice and get a mouth call and binoculars. Despite having read about glassing, I didn't think I'd really need them, but clearly I do! I think I've heard of the yote callers, but know nothing about them. I'll check it out and buy one. There were so many yote tracks out there I feel like I *must* have been a few in the area while I was there.

Ghost: I had read that jacks were active at first light, but goofed the timing of my arrival :( I had thought I'd be able to drive within a few hundred yards of where I was looking to get started, only to find the road I was counting on was a really rough dirt road that my car couldn't comfortably handle, so I had to hoof it for several miles, and wasted that first light. I didn't know jacks are also active in the late afternoon though! I'll have to hang around longer next time, as I split in the early afternoon.

DanSanDiego: I really appreciate the encouraging words. It definitely felt foreign to be walking around with a loaded gun in my hands, and I'll need to work on spotting hidden wildlife. The timing of my stopping vs. walking definitely seemed to be off as well. I spent most of my time walking, but have since read I should have been stopping every 30ish paces or so.

SurfNHuntSD: Thank you! I will definitely holler if I get down to SD!

Hi everyone,

Sorry to resurrect a thread like this, but I thought folks might be interested to know that Winchester is not currently making its lead-free 22 LR ammo. After calling local retailers for a few months now, I finally got frustrated enough today to call Winchester directly, where a gentleman informed me they're simply not making it right now. Apparently they plan to do so again in the future, but he didn't know when.

-HuggyBear

SurfNHuntSD said:
ilovesprig said:
Just got my 1st "Green" 17's........................... ::)
Steve, what nonlead 17 ammo u running? I just dialed in my new 17hmr (Savage 93r17) but need to look into some nonlead stuff soon.

CCI....TNT GREEN....Hollow Point, 16 grain @ 2500 fps....Seems to shoot fine....Didn't change anything, because I'm shooting lead at squirrels till I run out..... ;)

ps.....About 3 bucks more than lead..... ::)

Nice! I haven't been able to find any of CCI's dang 22 in stock.

Where'd you get the 17, if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Trust me, you don't want to shoot that Winchester crap. Especially if there are any rocks around. Being tin, that stuff ricochets like crazy. I almost killed myself the first time I let some loose.

For jacks, go to the desert before first light. Approach from the west side watching for those ears. They will be sky-lite by the sun. I use a scoped .223 varmint rifle with sinterfire so no one cries about lead.

Good luck!

HuggyBear15 said:
Nice! I haven't been able to find any of CCI's dang 22 in stock.

Where'd you get the 17, if you don't mind sharing?

Fowler's Gun Room in the City of Orange.

Well I'll be darned. I was there not but two weeks ago! I'll have to check again!

Thank you!

TonyS said:
Trust me, you don't want to shoot that Winchester crap. Especially if there are any rocks around. Being tin, that stuff ricochets like crazy. I almost killed myself the first time I let some loose.

For jacks, go to the desert before first light. Approach from the west side watching for those ears. They will be sky-lite by the sun. I use a scoped .223 varmint rifle with sinterfire so no one cries about lead.

Good luck!

That is great to know! I have a 223 but was concerned that was too much gun for jacks. Also, I intentionally approached from the east last time, so I really appreciate the tip about coming from the west!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu