Lee loadmaster

G

Goyaałé

Does anyone have any info? I want to reload 9mm ,45acp, 45colt, 223/556, 308 & possibly 30 06. I will start out useing it as a single stage. I just don't want to buy a single and then buy something else. Any thoughts, Advice, or info? Thank you .

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I use a hornady progressive and a single stage.

The lee load master from what I see is only for one specific cal.

If your just starting out. Just buy a single stage press kit and then buy your dies. Personal opinion: don't buy cheap dies.

Reactions: Goyaałé
It will work,

you would be better served by learning to reload on a single stage press IMHO.

The progressive is great for high volume pistol shooters where accuracy is not as big a deal but it will complicate your learning curve. For rifle you want the single stage press if you are loading for accuracy.

There is a reason we all have a Rock chucker on our benches. You will buy lots of things if you keep shooting :)

I think you made the right decision. Once again the pros here in SCH steered someone in need of help in the correct direction. Im glad you did your own research too.
The same reason why you have all those different caliber firearms, you cannot just have one do-all press. You actually CAN but then it would suck somewhere. I started out with a lee turret press- Too slow. Hornady LNL- Not accurate. RCBS summit single stage-what I use for accuracy.
The LNL is great for plinking 9mm and 223.

Start getting the hang and understanding of reloading with the chucker. Accuracy difference is WOW factor compared to factory ammo. You could also drive yourself crazy if you jump into the deep end first in regards to accuracy. Will be great for your rifle rounds and good learning tool for the pistol.

If you shoot a lot for plinking you will eventually require a progressive press. Thats fun also and requires serious concentration. I got lucky one time with a squib bullet not traveling down the barrel further, and the next round wouldn't chamber. Only happened once which required some tweaking with my press and slapping myself to concentrate more on safety.

I think in shooting sports, there is no such thing as a "do all" equipment. Manufacturers try and we buy, but in the end we have to buy that specialized tool. Now go clear out a small room or a quarter of your garage for all of the equipment that you will need to prepare for your baby.

biggest issue was powder metering. I measure each load with a digital scale that measures .02 gr for my accuracy load. Even my lyman digital dispenser would be +/- .3gr off.
I also like to use consistent pressure on the handle for each stage and set aside different "feeling" of sizing, priming, seating, etc. With the progressive I can't feel the distinction of which cartridge was hard or soft feeling.

biggest issue was powder metering. I measure each load with a digital scale that measures .02 gr for my accuracy load. Even my lyman digital dispenser would be +/- .3gr off.
I also like to use consistent pressure on the handle for each stage and set aside different "feeling" of sizing, priming, seating, etc. With the progressive I can't feel the distinction of which cartridge was hard or soft feeling.

When it comes to the powder dispensers, they all function the same way. If you buy and use a good Metering insert you'll have better accuracy. Also the scales that are made by most of the companies are not as accurate as you might think. I use a jewelers scale that cost me more then my single stage kit. None of this is limited to just Hornady L-N-L.
Now with the Hornady Progressive metallic press you will always feel the resistance at the first stage with the resizing of the case. That's not any different from a turret style press. With the powder measure you need to use the micrometer insert to get good drops. Also you need to be consistent with how fast your going. Slow and steady works for me. This whole set up is made to make a ton of rounds is a short period of time. It also takes a times to set it up correctly and get use to it. It's not to be used for match rounds. And that go's for any companies progressive turret style presses.
I use Hornady, MEC, and RCBS, I can find something that I don't like about all my presses, but I can't say one is more accurate then the other. That's measured by my attention to detail and how I use my equipment.

I can find something that I don't like about all my presses, but I can't say one is more accurate then the other. That's measured by my attention to detail and how I use my equipment.
Im not knocking Hornady LNL saying its not accurate in reloading. But your last phrase sums it up for me. The single stage press allows me to slow down and pay attention to details while I use the equipment. And yes, my single stage I have dislike about it-I can't crank out the rounds. Thats the reason why the progressive and single stage are both mounted and ready to load on the bench. Specific tool for the job.

Deer season over- I have time.

This is a good thread. And would probably be a sticky. As I really have no experience with reloading. Yet I have been building complex equipment and parts. I find the information freely given as valuable. Before I retire I need to buy the single stage equipment. And start a reloading bench. I more interested with the ability to reload my ammo. Thanks

This is a good thread. And would probably be a sticky. As I really have no experience with reloading. Yet I have been building complex equipment and parts. I find the information freely given as valuable. Before I retire I need to buy the single stage equipment. And start a reloading bench. I more interested with the ability to reload my ammo. Thanks

Reloaders are like hunting bows use the best you can afford, check the swat meets or ebay for some good deals

Just received the lee loadmasters for xmas from my wife. Last week I ordered the rcbs supreme . Now I have two loaders a progressive and a single stage loader. Have to start reading on how to reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu