Lessons Learned 2nd archery elk hunt

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
2nd Elk hunt, another learning experience. Went solo for 15 days up around 9,000ft in Idaho, south of Driggs for archery, 1-15 Sep. Any elk tag.

Day 2 got pics of this monster at a wallow I was targeting. Sat close over wallow for 4 days and only saw moose.

Day 3, tent was attacked by something. Whatever it was, broke a pole and pulled two guy lines down…No food in tent…no rips to the tent. Riggers tape from med kit, wrapped around a tent stake fixed the pole. My guess a deer, elk or moose hooked a guy wire and freaked out. Lesson Learned, riggers tape is a miracle tool.

Day 6 and 9, had cows at 25 and 30 yds but passed, hoping for a bull. Lesson Learned, cow meat in the freezer is better than eating a tag…

Day 7, the only day I heard any elk bugling in 15 days (1-15 Sept). Lesson Learned, the bulls there don’t bugle but soft cow calls will bring them in silent. It was a weekend so the bugles could have been other hunters.

Day 10, sitting 100yds from wallow on two approach trails in thick stuff, heard 2 bulls, 50yds away crashing horns. Saw a nice 5x5 run from the fight. Lesson learned, keep your cow call in your mouth or pocket. Had it in my pack and couldn’t get to it fast enough.

Day 13, the big 6x7 above, came in silent and fast on cow calls. Stopped at 30yds behind some trees with only antlers and nose showing. That nose got me and he bolted. Lesson Learned, archery elk is hard to put it all together.

Next year will be my 3rd try at archery elk. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.

.2017 6x7.jpg elk 3 sep 2017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like an exciting 15 days. Sorry you didn't get a shot at that bull. Looking forward to your 3rd try already. Thanks for the highlights.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Hey you have gotten closer then most of us, keep up the good work it will pay off !

nice report.... do not feel bad i had almost 50 days of bow hunting before i stuck a arrow in my first elk. ITS WORTH IT!!!!! not that deer are not fun but something about elk is just magical .

Live with a diaphragm call in your mouth. buy like 20 of what ever type you like and never take them out. Break them in before the season and keep them ready to rock. They are life savers when you screw up and need that extra second or extra step.

in that location it could have been a grizz.

That is a great public land spot by the way. To see 300+ class bulls even if they are at night is pretty damn good.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu