Let's talk pellet smokers/grills

Good discussion. Here’s my two cents. Pellet smokers really don’t get hot enough to sear or grill, so you need the egg or a grill for that. I know of some hacks you can do, but bottom line is don’t try to seat or grill on a pellet smoker. Also the egg probably gives better flavor than pellets, but pellet smokers are much more convenient. Traeger smokers allow you to change out the wood you are using pretty easily using the trap door on the hopper. That’s a bonus if you care about varying the wood flavor based on what you’re smoking, which I do. The parts are sturdy on the Traeger (I’ve had the augur break twice on Green Mountain smokers before I gave up and bought a Traeger.) A final point worth mentioning is that fish dry out in hot smokers (defined as any smoker that heats beyond 100 deg F. If you want to smoke fish and keep it moist, minimize the temp. Fred mentioned the Traeger gets down to 155-160 deg, which is pretty good. But the best for fish IMO is a Bradley electric smoker. The heating element is outside the smoke compartment, so you can cold smoke the fish. But it’s a small compartment so you can’t smoke a lot of fish at one time. That’s all I have to offer on the subject.

Good discussion. Here’s my two cents. Pellet smokers really don’t get hot enough to sear or grill, so you need the egg or a grill for that. I know of some hacks you can do, but bottom line is don’t try to seat or grill on a pellet smoker. Also the egg probably gives better flavor than pellets, but pellet smokers are much more convenient. Traeger smokers allow you to change out the wood you are using pretty easily using the trap door on the hopper. That’s a bonus if you care about varying the wood flavor based on what you’re smoking, which I do. The parts are sturdy on the Traeger (I’ve had the augur break twice on Green Mountain smokers before I gave up and bought a Traeger.) A final point worth mentioning is that fish dry out in hot smokers (defined as any smoker that heats beyond 100 deg F. If you want to smoke fish and keep it moist, minimize the temp. Fred mentioned the Traeger gets down to 155-160 deg, which is pretty good. But the best for fish IMO is a Bradley electric smoker. The heating element is outside the smoke compartment, so you can cold smoke the fish. But it’s a small compartment so you can’t smoke a lot of fish at one time. That’s all I have to offer on the subject.
Bonejour, IMO part of smoking fish is brining before you smoke and then keeping it brief to finish. NBK taught me a recipe years ago that works for me. One pound kosher salt, one pound brown sugar and a gallon of ice water (with ice) soak over night and then spread over a grill and blow cold air over it for about eight hour's and create a brine skin then perfume it with the smoke depending on temp for an hour or two. The higher the temp the less time over heat and then vacuum seal and cool or freeze.

Reactions: Bonejour
I have pit boss classic, paid $200 at Walmart off season, cooked elk jerky, pork ribs, pork butts, brisket pastrami (Amazing). All turned out great. I use it all the time and would definately get one that is bluetooth controlled next time.

Attachments

• 20200730_184303.jpg
    20200730_184303.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200730_183751.jpg
    20200730_183751.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200726_213301.jpg
    20200726_213301.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 3
I have done a lot of reading and the Recteq RT-700 with the cold smoke box looks like what I want. It is cool enough to smoke cheese and hot enough to sear beef with their sear kit. Reviews from folks have indicated that seeing temps as high as 600° is common if needed. The insulation seems to be more efficient than the competition and it has a 40 pound pellet hopper. Construction seems heavy duty as well.

20210313_220325.jpg

Reactions: Bonejour
Read up on the Yoder pellet smokers. Another quality piece of cooking gear. Operating temps in main box 150°-600° makes it usable for a wide range of cooking and smoking. From my research, the Recteq might be a better unit for the money as it is made of stainless steel, has a bumber to bumper 6 year warranty and comes with a 40lb hopper. Both seem to be best in class.

I have had a Traeger and didn’t really like it. Couldn’t hold heat and I would get temp readings pretty far off from the set temp. Read somewhere that Joe Traeger actually sold his company because the developers were cutting corners and joined up with PitBoss to make a better product. So when I decided to upgrade I got the PitBoss 1150 Pro Series. I’ve had it for about 8 months and am very happy with it. I’m sure you have read all the reviews so you know it’s kind of a crap shoot. Pretty much with every brand and model, some folks swear by the one they own and others hate them.

Picked up a previous year floor model Traeger with some bumps and bruises for 50% off. Smoked some bacon wrapped backstraps and didn’t notice one scratch. So I guess it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MAG 1
I have had a Traeger and didn’t really like it. Couldn’t hold heat and I would get temp readings pretty far off from the set temp. Read somewhere that Joe Traeger actually sold his company because the developers were cutting corners and joined up with PitBoss to make a better product. So when I decided to upgrade I got the PitBoss 1150 Pro Series. I’ve had it for about 8 months and am very happy with it. I’m sure you have read all the reviews so you know it’s kind of a crap shoot. Pretty much with every brand and model, some folks swear by the one they own and others hate them.
had the same problem, called the Trager service department , and the figured out it was the fan and sent me a new 1. fast and easy to install works great.

Reactions: Cut ‘Em
Physically looked at the Yoder pellet smoker today. It is a well made unit. Pretty heavy duty...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu