leupold vari-x 3. 2.5x8 blurry

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
Inherited some long guns, leupold has a blurry picture while looking
through scope, tried glasses on glasses off, recticle is sharp and clear
I know nothing about scopes is there a way to adjust? All the othrr guns the scopes
Are fine so that rules out my eyes. Any help will be appreciated!!

Make sure the lenses are clean, and make sure the power selector is turned all the way down. I don't know how old your scope is, but on the current version there is an adjustable eyepiece with a lockring. However, the adjustable eyepiece is for focusing the reticle to your eyesight. If the reticle is already sharp, you should not need to touch that. But try this: look through the scope at a blank wall or ceiling across the room and close your eyes for a few seconds and then open them. Is the reticle instantly clear and sharp, or does your eye adjust to it? Do that several times until you can decide if it is instantly clear or your eye is adjusting to make it clear. It should be instantly clear and sharp, and if it's not, the eyepiece needs adjustment. I suppose if your eyepiece was adjusted way wrong for you, and your eye was struggling to focus on the reticle, the image behind the reticle (the field of view) might become blurry….

Otherwise, there might be some moisture in the scope. It is a gold ring scope and has a lifetime warranty. They will fix it or replace it if there is a defect in workmanship that caused the problem.

Kellendv said:
Make sure the lenses are clean, and make sure the power selector is turned all the way down. I don't know how old your scope is, but on the current version there is an adjustable eyepiece with a lockring. However, the adjustable eyepiece is for focusing the reticle to your eyesight. If the reticle is already sharp, you should not need to touch that. But try this: look through the scope at a blank wall or ceiling across the room and close your eyes for a few seconds and then open them. Is the reticle instantly clear and sharp, or does your eye adjust to it? Do that several times until you can decide if it is instantly clear or your eye is adjusting to make it clear. It should be instantly clear and sharp, and if it's not, the eyepiece needs adjustment. I suppose if your eyepiece was adjusted way wrong for you, and your eye was struggling to focus on the reticle, the image behind the reticle (the field of view) might become blurry….

Otherwise, there might be some moisture in the scope. It is a gold ring scope and has a lifetime warranty. They will fix it or replace it if there is a defect in workmanship that caused the problem.

Great info kellendv im going to try that now, thank you!!

All of the VX-3 scopes have an adjustable ocular with a lock ring. Without doubt the VX-3 2.5-8 is my favorite scope of all time!

steveo007 said:
Kellendv said:

Youre right the eye piece needed adjustment, did that first put the power on low 2.5 picture crystal clear but
as i zoom the picture in the scope gets progressively blurry as you zoom, i checked my 243 with a bushnell 3x9 picture clear throughout zoom range.

Great info kellendv im going to try that now, thank you!!

Is the objective lens for sure clean? No dried water drops or anything?

Take a look at this video. It's a little long but I think an excellent one. He describes the technique for adjusting the ocular starting a little after the 10:30 mark. If you wanted to be safe, you could go through this whole process to make sure there is nothing about the mounting/setup thats just doesn't work for you before you send it in to be examined. Everyone's vision is different, and eye relief and ocular settings will not be exactly the same for two people. This guy explains things in very simple terms, and once you watch this, you will likely never let someone else setup your scope for you again (if you did before). He's got a bunch of great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

If there are issues you have the option of sending it back to Leupold. They will fix or repair it free of charge. Period!

When you call them, they answer the phone...

Telephone
1-800-Leupold
1-800-538-7653

Shipping Address
Leupold & Stevens
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, OR 97006-5790

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu