Lightweight tripod/spotting scope

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
I was just posting up to see if anyone has a good combo for these? The combo I have is pretty basic and I am looking to upgrade next year. So I was just wanting some ideas.

Nikon ED 50 is probably the best lightweight spotter out there. I have experience with that and the Minox MD 50. Big difference in cost. I'd go with the Nikon out of those two.

Take a look at the Outdoorsman brand of tripod. Made by hunters for hunters in the USA. They offer a modular system that allows you to build a tripod to suits your hunting needs. I have one that I built in 2009 and its served me well. Not cheap but its one of those tools where I believe in the buy once cry once train of thought.

Snake Charmer said:
Take a look at the Outdoorsman brand of tripod. Made by hunters for hunters in the USA. They offer a modular system that allows you to build a tripod to suits your hunting needs. I have one that I built in 2009 and its served me well. Not cheap but its one of those tools where I believe in the buy once cry once train of thought.

thank you snake charmer! Im going to save up some money and see what I can do. right now I have 2 tripods, one super light but crappy, and one super heavy but very smooth while glassing longer distances, and I hate dragging it miles into the wilderness!

Swarovski STS65, Cullmann 200 tripod and Jim White head... I wouldn't call this setup lightweight, but I won't leave home without it. Ed F

I bought the Bushnell Elite tactical 8-40 this year. Light and rugged, but poor clarity so it really is just not worth carrying. I'd rather have a heavier scope that adds more to my optical arsenal. My two cents.

Breacher said:
Nikon ED 50 is probably the best lightweight spotter out there. I have experience with that and the Minox MD 50. Big difference in cost. I'd go with the Nikon out of those two.

I agree my Nikon is great, I have a 2x 35mm lens and it works great

I own an Outdoorsman tripod... Heavy, noisy and overpriced. It's good for sitting in the wind near my truck. Ed F

After this discussion came up, I took my Bushnell in to FF to talk with John about how I'm using it (along with 12x50 Leupold binos and Leupold 6x TBR rangefinder). With the heavy, bulky 12x binos, 20x mag w spotter adds less than it would to 8x binos. Magnification beyond 20x doesn't always result in better detail, so I've got two optics in my pack with a lot of overlap. I may look for some 8x Leicas and keep the 12x glasses for use from my vehicle.

So what is considered a light tripod weight wis? I have a monfrotto tripod that is 4.5 lbs and rock solid. Would that be to heavy as a tripod?

chava714 said:
So what is considered a light tripod weight wis? I have a monfrotto tripod that is 4.5 lbs and rock solid. Would that be to heavy as a tripod?
yeah a little too heavy. I'm looking at 2 lbs or so.

My Slik U6000 and Bushnell Elite Tactical spotting scope come in at just under 5lbs total weight. That's my definition of light. The slik is plenty rigid but in a wind you need to keep it compact: the more you extend the head and legs, with the weight of the scope, the more vibration you'll get. That's due to resonance, and it's predictable. Similar to a tuning fork.

Great info and things to consider in this thread, so I'm reviving it. Since the last post, the head on my Slik tripod broke and couldn't be replaced, so I bought a used Manfrotto tripod and head for spotting. I like it a lot. It's not light by any means, but it is rock-solid, quiet and easy to adjust. Anyone else have an update? Garrett, what did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info and things to consider in this thread, so I'm reviving it. Since the last post, the head on my Slik tripod broke and couldn't be replaced, so I bought a used Manfrotto tripod and head for spotting. I like it a lot. It's not light by any means, but it is rock-solid, quiet and easy to adjust. Anyone else have an update? Garrett, what did you end up with?

I ended up with the Slik Sprint** mini pro ii, with a manfrotto head. I love it!

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu