Lions and livestock

bajaandy

Jul 9, 2017
North County
So I wondered why all of the sudden I stopped getting any deer on my cams about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was just bucks starting the rut and moving out looking for other bucks to spar with and doe to chase.

Got a call from my neighbor yesterday saying that he found one of his animals dead and partially eaten in the pasture yesterday morning. He went out into the back country predator calling thinking it might have been coyotes. Some movement caught his eye and he watched not one, but two Mt Lions come out of the brush (siblings?) and jump up onto an old oak branch.

About 9:30 that same night, he called me again and said he was now missing another animal. Two kills in one day! That's a problem! I came over and we armored up and went looking for the missing animal. We followed the drag marks from the pasture fence to a hole in some brush. Let me tell you, it's a bit of a pucker factor when you decide to dive into the brush at night knowing you've got a fresh kill and a lion (or two) nearby!

Long story short, we didn't see any lions, and we didn't find the carcass until this morning, but I must have walked not 10 feet away from it in the dark. Nothing left but the gut sack and the head and legs. Anybody know anything about Mt. Lion biology? Do siblings stay together? How long do they stay with the mother? How long after a kill will they kill again? I'm thinking my neighbor may have seen the siblings and maybe the mother made the kill and dragged it up the hill and into the brush. If that's the case, we've got three of em.

Great.

(For my own privacy, and out of respect for my neighbor, I purposely haven't identified where this took place, or the livestock that were killed.)

so call your local warden and start the process to get a permit to whack the kitty!!!!!!!!!!! you do not get to keep it but you do get to kill one.

tried to find the link to the application on the DFG site and they moved it or took it down??

so call your local warden and start the process to get a permit to whack the kitty!!!!!!!!!!! you do not get to keep it but you do get to kill one.

tried to find the link to the application on the DFG site and they moved it or took it down??
Process is already in the works.

Reactions: stikbrandon
that is because this "Liberal" state does not believe in balance control. Mountain lion population needs to be controlled. Permits should be given just like deer and the season should be re-opened.

Unfortunately the DFG is not allowed to control the mountain lion population because of the vote/law protecting them. It would take another vote to allow DFG to optimize their population. But in your case please do look into the legal take of mt lions while they are preying on livestock if it occurs on a registered farm (it may be legal to take them without any permit if you catch them in the act of killing livestock, but definitely do the research regarding the necessity of a permit and what constitutes livestock because the permit may be necessary).

Not to sidetrack the thread, but was wondering if this a cat or canine track. Opinion?View attachment 33326

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To me that is distinctly a dog track. Notice how the two middle pads are obviously more forward of the two outer pads, giving the whole track more of a diamond shape... classic dog. Cat tracks are more circular, or kind of sidewase oval shaped. Also, if you draw a line from the center outwards between all the pads, you will get a pretty evenly shaped star shape, also a good indication it's a dog. The rear pad on a lion is bigger and changes the angle of the two bottom lines. Finally, the pads are very close together, cat pads are more separated.

DFG doesn't give you the de-prededation permit any more, they will drop a trap and keep it alive and relocate it. Happened to some friends of friends last year.

DFG doesn't give you the de-prededation permit any more, they will drop a trap and keep it alive and relocate it. Happened to some friends of friends last year.

They generally don't relocate. They shoot them in the trap with their service pistol. But the public is not supposed to know this.

14 CCR § 402 (California Landowner Hunting Tags)

(a) Revocable permits may be issued by the department after receiving a report, from any owner or tenant or agent for them, of property being damaged or destroyed by mountain lion. The department shall conduct and complete an investigation within 48 hours of receiving such a report. Any mountain lion that is encountered in the act of inflicting injury to, molesting or killing livestock or domestic animals may be taken immediately if the taking is reported within 72 hours to the department and the carcass is made available to the department.

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Do...egoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)&bhcp=1

This cat broke into my friends chicken & turkey coop near Lake Cuyamaca.....They got a DFW permit to shoot it.....After a number of nights breaking in, they sat up all night, and it never showed again.

.Lisa's cat.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu