Moisture control in a gun safe

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Fellas what have you guys used for moisture control in your gun safes? I have a safe room that’s about 60sq’.

Attachments

• IMG_7208.jpeg
    IMG_7208.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7209.jpeg
    IMG_7209.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: DoubleTrouble
No such thing were I live... Africa hot...like O moisture...ever. .Grandpa use to run a heating rod...he swore by it...I now have about 30 of his old school firearms .all in great shape...so I'm guessing the rod worked..he lived in Washington state...extreme moisture.

Silica desiccant containers. all I have ever used. The containers can be reactivated in oven. buy on line Bass pro, or go to gun store. For that size I would go with a few.

730f2a0a434798e61b3be250edac3f73.jpg

These are cheap and work well.

Reactions: KoozeDeer
My garage here in So. cal is reminiscent of a sauna, I got a 12 pack of silicone gun socks (not that I need them since the boating accident) from Amazon and run the silica bags. Not a single fishing reel or screwdriver has any rust on it.

My garage here in So. cal is reminiscent of a sauna, I got a 12 pack of silicone gun socks (not that I need them since the boating accident) from Amazon and run the silica bags. Not a single fishing reel or screwdriver has any rust on it.
Silica gel is the answer. I worked in the commercial A/C industry. We specialized in low humidity rooms 5% RH and lower for pharmaceuticals Co. All of our air dryers equipment used silica gel as a absorbent.

I picked up some large cartridges from Eva-dry as well as a moisture meter, we shall see how it works

Silica gel is the answer. I worked in the commercial A/C industry. We specialized in low humidity rooms 5% RH and lower for pharmaceuticals Co. All of our air dryers equipment used silica gel as a absorbent.
Ordering some now, thanks

Smart man. That will help a lot, As much as the moisture absorbent gel. When we did low humidity rooms, the dry wall contractor put first barrier on studs, then a layer of drywall, another barrier, then last layer of drywall. All the rooms required 5% or lower RH.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu