Montana/Canada 2016

WOW, everything, WOW!
Im enjoying your experience. Thank you for taking the time to post these pics and play-by-play.

I have walked my ass off for the last 2 days, totally targeting a sharp-tail grouse.....I have seen quite a few, but they have all flushed wild and they fly far.....Plus we've had rain & snow for 3 days.....Today was only snow & it didn't stick in the low elevations.....Got a couple of tips near a town called Geyser.....Block Management property & lots of it.....Trigger flushed a covey way out in an alfalfa field (that was the tip, hunt near them).....After about another mile of walking, I was near the end of the alfalfa bordered with native grasses.....Trigger was close and I could see he was getting birdy.....As he starts to head into the alfalfa, I was ready.....2 birds flushed at about 40 yds.....No shot, but I have learned most birds like sharpies, there's almost always a late guy.....There was again this time and I dropped him.....Finally off the bucket list.....lol

Chasing pheasant Saturday......Good weather predicted......:blush:

.019.JPG 029.JPG 032.JPG

That's great stuff Steve. If those birds were a challenge for you, that's saying a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have walked my ass off for the last 2 days, totally targeting a sharp-tail grouse.....I have seen quite a few, but they have all flushed wild and they fly far.....Plus we've had rain & snow for 3 days.....Today was only snow & it didn't stick in the low elevations.....Got a couple of tips near a town called Geyser.....Block Management property & lots of it.....Trigger flushed a covey way out in an alfalfa field (that was the tip, hunt near them).....After about another mile of walking, I was near the end of the alfalfa bordered with native grasses.....Trigger was close and I could see he was getting birdy.....As he starts to head into the alfalfa, I was ready.....2 birds flushed at about 40 yds.....No shot, but I have learned most birds like sharpies, there's almost always a late guy.....There was again this time and I dropped him.....Finally off the bucket list.....lol

Chasing pheasant Saturday......Good weather predicted......:blush:

.View attachment 28526 View attachment 28527 View attachment 28528

Great day Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Steve,
Love the play by play! Been checking in daily for updates.

The landscape and game out there is unreal! Thanks for sharing your trip!

That's great stuff Steve. If those birds were a challenge for you, that's saying a ton.

Don,

The boys with pointing dogs that range far & wide do quite well....Although, most of them that had limits hunted private property with outfitters.....Few more pix from the last couple of days.....The hare was just starting to change colors to white.....Pic is of the vast grasslands that huns & sharpies live in (Benton Lake NWR).....Lots of walkin' for this old guy.....lol

.045.JPG 036.JPG 043.JPG 013.JPG 027.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yeah it sounded like maybe it wasn't Trigger's long suit. Lots of beautiful country to walk... sounds like my kind of territory. A Montana hunt is on my bucket list for sure. Thanks for all the posts and pics.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Don,

Trigger has no problem running (& I mean running) far & wide......It's the flushing birds out of range that gets to be the problem.....When these sharpies flush, they don't stop for at least a mile.....:eek:

He'll get ditches tomorrow......Much more his cup of tea.

Don,

Trigger has no problem running (& I mean running) far & wide......It's the flushing birds out of range that gets to be the problem.....When these sharpies flush, they don't stop for at least a mile.....:eek:

He'll get ditches tomorrow......Much more his cup of tea.
Understood. That's the impression I got from your post.

Well, today was Montana's pheasant opener.....Cousin Ron & I started the 1st ditch with a miss....Ugh!...Little farther down & I see a rooster fly into the ditch I'm walking. As I get there, Trigger gets excited.....Unfortunately, The rooster had ran into the wheat and was out of range when he flushed.....Then we start flushing hens and more hens, but no roosters.....Walking back, Ronnie flushes one, right by the truck.....1 in the bag.....Our next stop is a long walk and again it's hens flushing close....Finally, I get a rooster in close and I score my 1st Montana rooster....3rd stop produces another rooster for me (should've doubled).....Our last bird in range was lost when I broke a wing after Ronnie had missed.....The dogs were trying to catch it when it found a big wood pile....Just couldn't get to him.....The rest of the day was a lot of walking, but no birds close or they would run as soon as we would get into a field or stop.....Long, but fun day with plenty of action.....;)

Time to come home & last post......Thanks to everyone that commented and gave words of encouragement on this month long adventure.....:blush:

.002.JPG 005.JPG 009.JPG

Great adventure for you and Trigger and may you two have more of this so I can dream about it.

Regarding the signs, I'd rather have clear signs than imaginary lines. I know, no signs and full freedom would be best but that has already been abused by more than one knucklehead.

Have a safe trip back.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu