Montana Duck Opener 2017

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Scouted Benton Lake NWR the last couple of days and my cousin and I decided to walk half way across the ponded area (2.6 miles).....He stopped at about 3/4 of a mile and I continued on more in the middle.....As dawn started to break, I was inundated with cinnamon or bluewing teal.....With no big ducks working, I decided to take a few.....When I got to 4, I quit shooting them and would wait for the big ducks.....Mallards starting working in at about 8:00 am. And by 8:45 am, I had my limit of 7.

Ronnie passed on teal and ended up with 1 gadwall, 1 widgeon, and 1 mallard.....No buddy even near us (only 12 folks overall) and beautiful waterfowl morning.....Little cloudy, cool (48), and a southwest breeze.

Snow starting Monday. So, I think I'll be back out there.....Pix

.007.JPG 021.JPG 030.JPG 033.JPG 035.JPG 052.JPG

Awesome Steve!

Geeze, at the 10K+ acre area we hunt. We would think we would be crowded at 12 people. Haha... We are many times alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah Nick, what a difference from SoCal.....No check-in, gates are open, and you're on the honor system not to walk in until 2 hours before shoot time.....For the youth hunt last week. There were 2 kids with 1 dad.....Apparently, duck hunting isn't a big deal around here.....lol

.047.JPG

Must be amazing to have so much wide open country to yourself!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu