Montana unlimited sheep

Cptn Mo

Jun 8, 2017
Here goes , Aint ever hunted Montana but were headin that way late august for a fully guided, pack in sheep hunt in an unlimited zone ( extremily low success hunt ) and just wanted to B S about it . Ive researched this hunt thoroughly and talked to a few past hunters from our outfitter . also put in for a Goat tag for the unit as well be up there . any input would be a helpful collection to my homework .

I have wanted to do this hunt for years ... I have hoped to find someone that would be interested in the challenge with me . Hope the best for you I would be interested to hear more about it from you . Good luck . What outfitter did you go with ?

Good luck Mo.....I was there last year and found these sheep near my cousins house (between Great Falls & Helena)....Magnificent beasts for sure.....I've also seen them near West Yellowstone.

.020.JPG 033.JPG 021.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Cptn Mo
K Guys , Its fer reals now ! we leave sat morn . well be on ponies tuesday morn fer spike camp and coyote out for the opener on the 1st . ill try to send M J B updates by cell or sat to share . good luck to all for dove and archery deer openers

Meat eater just did a 2 hour podcast on the unlimited sheep hunts in Montana you should listen to it. Both guys were successful but it took them years. 2.7% success rate. But that is way better than the 1 in 10,000 odds I have of drawing a tag. It will be a fun hunt narly country.

where You headin Sprig n are You on a hunt ? . Truduct , Ill try to find that podcast on the drive and thanks . Lungpopper , thanks for lcck wishes and thanks again Yall

So awesome again good luck and can't wait to follow your updates and hopefully hear of good news ! Tough hunt from what I understand but either way it will be rewarding and you will be able to at least come home and say you hunted sheep in your lifetime. I will do this hunt most likely in the next 5 years I'm curious and if you don't mind me asking what did the guide charge you for this hunt ?

What an adventure! I'm sure you'll see things creating lifelong memories whether you bag an animal or not. Good luck!

Danget , sorry Guys , if Id have taken a Ram I would have had the story out before I got home. as far as updates my phone was toast by Idaho . Ive had this hunt on my mind for about 5 years now as possibly a DIY and Im convinced thats not at all for me as the logistics were beyond Me. the outfitter had a spike , coyote and base camp established a week prior with food and between 20 - 40 gallons of water at each . opening day was friday Sep. 1 and Cameron and I met the ponies tuesday morning the 29th for a 5 hour ride to spike camp around noon . Mike our guide, Cameron my buddy and extra set of eyes and Me got settled in as the wrangler took all the horses and mules back down the hill as we were one with our back packs for the next 10 days . overnight and off to Coyote camp on foot in the morning . A 4 - 5 hour hike ( we saw a dozen young rams and yews along the way ) and we were at coyote camp bustin out our Kuiu solo tents and sleeping bags and glassed near camp that evening for nothing but nannies, billys and kids . Thursday morning ( friday the opener ) and half a saturday were typical sheep huntin days with lots of hiking and lots more glassin. there were good bands of Yews and lambs with some young rams mixed in but no legal rams . we saw a bunch of goats everywhere we went, black bears, grizzlys , some deer and 1 other hunter. returned coyote camp mid day and decided to make a move so we busted camp and headed to spike camp for clean clothes and supplies . from there continued west for another 5 - 6 miles to a base camp ( where our outfitter had horses and another hunter ) near where a ram had been taken on day 2 from a band of 6 legal rams . that evening just before dark we came over the last hill with base camp to the north and a jumbo ram to our south on the safe side of the line ( Yellowstone Park ) we hunted that area for 4 more days as the season ended 2 days early from the 2 sheep quota being filled . We saw 5 , 3 and 2 more rams over the line those last 4 days along with Elk, Mulies, goats, Yews and young Rams along with 4 other hunters . living out of a pack ( with frost inside the solo tent some mornings ) was different . We never saw the fires but the smoke was enough some days to shut down my range finders . Me and Cameron hiked out a different direction than the pack train as the season ended due to the fact that we left my truck on a dirt road for the last 11 days in a spot where a sheep could be packed out from our coyote camp . truck was still there, tires and everything . It was an awesome hunt / experience !! would I do it again ? I dont think so for 9K + tip + $1,200 tag + travel , Cameron paid $1,500 + tip + travel for the experience and he was an asset as well as a pal in camp . I would consider a drop camp with food and water cashed possibly.
Ill see what I can do about getting some pics added ( with a lil help ) as we have a zillion .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu