Motion Ducks

CapnCaboose

Jul 16, 2022
Thinking of finally investing in some electronic decoys, buddy of kine had the mojo but we don't always hunt together. As far as I can tell on the regs, as long as wings do not spin electronic decoys are ok before December.

Anybody know if this is the case, or are they only good after December?

Talking about swimming and diving decoys, hoping for some clarification.

Swimmers, shakers, pulsators, etc. are all legal before Dec. 1....Winduks are okay as well........... :blush:

You're right that electronic decoys without spinning wings are usually okay to use before December. Swimming and diving decoys are a good choice, just be sure they follow the season rules.

I too did this several years ago. Im big on making setup/pickup easier. I did away with the jerk rig setup and bought pulsators, winderducks, everything….. what I ended up doing is making a lot more work in the long run.

If I had to do it again, I would keep the jerk rig. Electronic decoys need to be charged, cleaned, too many pieces to break/replace, and get gunked up out at wister.

Instead of a weight for the jerk rig, keep it light weight… 3ft piece of 1/2” conduit pushed into mud with a bungee cord zip tied to the middle. Attach whatever line you choose and run that back to the blind. Tie one or two loops in the line and attach snap swivel (took hook into decoy). No more than $10 total.

Trust me, electronic decoys are nice when they work. But they’re big, expensive, and something is always going wrong with them. A jerk cord is the most reliable and easiest when hiking out to a spot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu