Mt. Lion kill in campground

I saw a lion on one of the backroads of Laguna a couple months ago. I drove down to one of the dead ends at a trailhead, turned around and was heading back to the main road when I turned a corner and about 100 yds up I saw what I thought was a coyote. Then I saw the long tail and it jumped high into the brush. This was midday, people all over walking the trails and the road. I told the guy at the store there what I saw thinking they see them all the time, his response was that he's lived there for years and has never seen one... I don't think he believed me.

Maybe they aren't down that way but Los Padres, all of Orange County are full of them. I had the woman sitting in the entrance booth at Caspers Wilderness Park tell me when I commented on the sign hanging there, "I have been here for 15 years and never seen one".

When I parked at the horse corral about 150 yds from that lady's booth I wanted to drag her out of there to show her the juvenile long tail trying to figure out a way to get one of those juicy horses under some bushes.

You have to know how to spot them but trust me, there are alot of them.

Back in the 90's a 4 year old girl got mauled by a lion at Casper luckily her parents were close and just a few teeth marks on her head is all she suffered.

They get bold when not chased by man or dog.

Here are a few hints to spotting them. The color, the lack of movement, ( they move like in a dream, very slowly). For one concealed, gaze don't look and when you feel it then look. It is right there. You will feel the irrational fear then spot it.

One grabbed a four year old last week in Idaho sitting in camp.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b24ccce4b0863b02846ee0

I am way more worried about rattlers then I am lions. They are everywhere in our mountains watching us and we never see them. Most don't want trouble like Steve said its the young males that cause all the mischief. I Definately think lion hunting should be legal but without dogs it would almost be pointless. I want to get out some day on a dog lion hunt in AZ. Tree one and shoot it with a revolver watching those dogs work and do what they love is awesome.
I could've killed two in two years calling them

I saw two mountain lions yesterday, hunting on mt. Laguna. I took video. Will post on my other thread: Deer moving like crazy. Weird thing is that once they moved on, deer walked on the same path and weren't spooked. Had three walk through after the lions and walked the same direction. Just 30 mins apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu