Multi Day Packs

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
What does everyone have? What brand of what stuff do you pack? Etc.? Mine felt heavy and I'm curious to compare with others to see if I can save weight, or just man up.

Eberlestock, f1 mainframe and transformer pack... she pretty heavy empty.

On a multi day hunt with weapon you will have a hard time getting under 40 lbs with all of your gear and water etc. I use real light gear and struggle to stay light especially in the south west when I have to pack water. I use an exo mountain gear pack it's a work horse but not the lightest pack it weighs 5.1 lbs there are lighter packs out there. Check out stone glacier packs they are incredibly light. They kind of concern me though I feel like some of the stuff I go through might rip a stone glacier.

I just bought a Tenzing TZ600, and after researching a few it seemed like for the price it was the best bet with features. After hiking with it yesterday loaded down, I didn't wake up with my neck bothering me this morning. That in itself makes me happy. What kind of sleeping bags, mats, tripods, etc. are everyone using for us weight wienies?

I've had good luck with my Kuiu pack!
For a bag I like my Marmot Hydrogen, it's light, packs small and keeps me warm.
For a pad I like my Thermarest Neoair, definitely the most comfortable I have used.
My tripod isn't super light, but it's a slik trik mini pro with a manfrotto head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to tripod, light is not good. Except in perfect conditions. Slight wind will make your scope shiver. I use a vanguard. It is heavy but i can throw either a rifle or spotting scope on it and know it wont fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuiu 3200 carries more than I want to carry. Loaded going in at 40 pounds. If you get lucky and de-bone a deer your coming out around 75-80 pounds. I've carried more but it sucks.
At 40 pounds I'm carrying a 45° Down quilt, sleeping pad, bivy, pillow, water, (hydro flask with cold adult beverage for the end of the day) food, stove, tripod, rifle, small knife, small saw, first aid kit, game bag, binoculars, flashlight, lantern, camo clothing, and battery pack to recharge the phoneIMG_0152.JPGbag fully loadedIMG_0156.JPG
One of the things I do to pick up space is combine the quilt, bivy and pillow and put them in a compression bag. Really helps shrink them up. Im only using about 80% of the main bag and the spotting scope pocket is still open if I want to take a spotter. Meat will go between the bag and the frame.IMG_0153.JPG

Eberlystock JP9 (Blue Widow) I have the older version that is an internal frame and I love it. Its solid for a day pack and goes from 2200ci zipped up to 4500+ unzipped and if you get the external duffel and removable fanny pack its well over 8000ci+. You can add a bow bucket to hold your bow or a rifle scabbard for the long treks in and out.

I have 6 Eberlestocks and one KUIU pack. I have found through the years that I needed different packs for different hunts. Just my preference. Eberlestocks always been good to me. I like my KUIU pack but for me their packs are just a little too stiff for me over the Eberlestock. I use it for the easier terrian day hunts though.

I'd like to give a plug to what our service guys use- USMC ILBE Marpat pack with assault pack. Used around $150 depending on condition of pack usually on eBay. I've used it and also have a friend who owns one also. No complaints with it-it just works.
Consists of 3 items, Main pack (huge), a removable top pack (one compartment), and the assault pack. The assault pack is a regular day pack with one main compartment and a flat back side which is a compartment also.

It is covered with molle web so you can add more pockets if you want. I use a bow bucket on mine and carries it nicely.

All is designed to be strapped together or used separately. The main pack has 2 side pockets at the bottom which is plenty enough room for buttstock and full size tripod (strapped to sides of the pack using compression straps). The whole pack is designed to go light weight in seconds if your trained for it.

Although I use an eberlestock 80% of the time that I got as a gift, I still love this pack. Not light weight but very rugged. Check out youtube for reviews and specific details.

By no means is it the 'best pack" but I thought it would be another worthy option to check out.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I'd like to give a plug to what our service guys use- USMC ILBE Marpat pack with assault pack. Used around $150 depending on condition of pack usually on eBay. I've used it and also have a friend who owns one also. No complaints with it-it just works.
Consists of 3 items, Main pack (huge), a removable top pack (one compartment), and the assault pack. The assault pack is a regular day pack with one main compartment and a flat back side which is a compartment also.

It is covered with molle web so you can add more pockets if you want. I use a bow bucket on mine and carries it nicely.

All is designed to be strapped together or used separately. The main pack has 2 side pockets at the bottom which is plenty enough room for buttstock and full size tripod (strapped to sides of the pack using compression straps). The whole pack is designed to go light weight in seconds if your trained for it.

Although I use an eberlestock 80% of the time that I got as a gift, I still love this pack. Not light weight but very rugged. Check out youtube for reviews and specific details.

By no means is it the 'best pack" but I thought it would be another worthy option to check out.
X2. Cash is tight for me, so I haven't been able to invest in a more capable pack like a Kuiu. My ILBE ($60 on Craigslist) has worked fine on 3-5 day backpacking missions. I can load it down pretty heavy and it's still fairly comfortable. For 1-3 day outings, my Eberlestock gets the job done too (thanks DanO) and can haul a deboned deer if I need to. Day trips I use the assault pack or simply my Filson vest for birds/rabbits.c14f8972ca9ac750f18aabe45d85b2bc.jpg

Kuiu 3200 carries more than I want to carry. Loaded going in at 40 pounds. If you get lucky and de-bone a deer your coming out around 75-80 pounds. I've carried more but it sucks.
At 40 pounds I'm carrying a 45° Down quilt, sleeping pad, bivy, pillow, water, (hydro flask with cold adult beverage for the end of the day) food, stove, tripod, rifle, small knife, small saw, first aid kit, game bag, binoculars, flashlight, lantern, camo clothing, and battery pack to recharge the phoneView attachment 33288bag fully loadedView attachment 33289
One of the things I do to pick up space is combine the quilt, bivy and pillow and put them in a compression bag. Really helps shrink them up. Im only using about 80% of the main bag and the spotting scope pocket is still open if I want to take a spotter. Meat will go between the bag and the frame.View attachment 33292
Nice collection LP. something to achieve

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu