Need some tips hunting Jacks

HighlyAdaptive

Feb 13, 2017
Hello all,

I've started hunting during the Christmas holiday as I had a lot of time on my hands. I live near the high desert, specifically the Barstow area and I went out to Juniper Flats to try my luck on anything in season. I saw quite a few jacks. The main issue is that they book it when I'm about 60 ft away and because that area is a shotgun only area it's extremely hard to nail them. I'm wondering if you guys have any tips on how to get closer to the little rascals? I'd hate to shoot and only wound it and have it get away.

HA,

Welcome to SCH......60' is only 20 yds.....Plenty close enough for any jack. And the advantage of a shotgun is that you CAN hit them on the run.

HA,

Welcome to SCH......60' is only 20 yds.....Plenty close enough for any jack. And the advantage of a shotgun is that you CAN hit them on the run.
Interesting. I will need to take a shot then. I suppose I'm too scared of wounding them and not being able to kill them quick.

Interesting. I will need to take a shot then. I suppose I'm too scared of wounding them and not being able to kill them quick.
Jacks are pretty fragile. If you tag one at 60 feet with a shotgun load, even clipping it in its legs, it'll go down, although you may need to finish it with a swift boot to the neck. Swinging the shotgun on a fast moving jack is fun stuff.

Tip? Face the sun and watch for ears. I have rolled them at 40 yards with a 20.

Jacks can be tough to approach. just like deer hunting take your time when walking. stop often and look. my memory is getting bad but I believe one of our sch compadres here had a several good post on on hunting jacks , I believe it was crossman999 or ? seek out with the search function. look in the small game section. http://schoutdoors.com/threads/some-help-to-new-jackrabbit-hunters.10605/

walk slow and stop and look, walk slow and stop. look for shady spots, I always look for the ears. or other parts of the rabbit.

:DI have only eaten one Jack and it wasn't very good
a6bd5323786995a91c1e7db8e1e31fdc.jpg

Agree to disagree.. jacks need to go low and slow, not grilled or fried, and strong flavors (chili, curry, sausage) do well. The last jack I shot became New Mexico style red chili (pic). Also check out Hank Shaw's Sardinian hare stew recipe:

a6bd5323786995a91c1e7db8e1e31fdc.jpg

Agree to disagree.. jacks need to go low and slow, not grilled or fried, and strong flavors (chili, curry, sausage) do well. The last jack I shot became New Mexico style red chili (pic). Also check out Hank Shaw's Sardinian hare stew recipe:

I just got my license. Planning on heading out soon for some jacks. I really want to try Hank Shaws Hasenpfeffer. His buttermilk fried jack looks good also.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brian1183

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu