New build possibly..

Blah, Blah, Blah....I need to see some pics of these components! Please share so I can drool.

Reactions: Bonejour
Awesome Sauce Taft. Looking forward to seeing this build come together. Go with a Jewell trigger. Once you have tried one you won't want anything else.

Question: Why a 1-7 twist? A 1-8 shoots 140's etc fine.

I'm really considering the Jewell, I have shot multiple rifles that have them, I just wish the trigger blade was wider :/

My gun smith told me that even though the gs customs and cutting edge (my two main choices for non-lead) are rated for 1:8 he has found they shoot a lot better in a 1:7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blah, Blah, Blah....I need to see some pics of these components! Please share so I can drool.

I'm slowly getting things rounded up, the barrel is going to take a while to get so I have some time. When parts start coming in I'll do some updates!

what bullet are you building for? was reading what spin ya need for the big non tox pills. can you load the cutting edge 140s and the single feed 120s from GS in the mag?

did you get a custom reamer or uni throater to take the mega long bullets?

what bullet are you building for? was reading what spin ya need for the big non tox pills. can you load the cutting edge 140s and the single feed 120s from GS in the mag?

did you get a custom reamer or uni throater to take the mega long bullets?

I'm going to shoot the eld-x 143's for practice and where they are legal to hunt with. I have 200 waiting to be loaded/shot. Then use the cutting edge to hunt with where I don't have the freedom to use lead lol. I'm not sure yet, I'm going to call them this week and see, I was wondering about that myself.

My smith has a custom reamer designed for longer bullets.

I'm going to shoot the eld-x 143's for practice and where they are legal to hunt with. I have 200 waiting to be loaded/shot. Then use the cutting edge to hunt with where I don't have the freedom to use lead lol. I'm not sure yet, I'm going to call them this week and see, I was wondering about that myself.

My smith has a custom reamer designed for longer bullets.

When shooting the cutting edge and even the LRX. Make sure to shoot them out past 500-600 yards. We've seen them start to tumble.
It's a heck of a surprise when they shoot sub MOA out to 4-5 hundred and all of a sudden they are hitting the steel sideways with huge groups at the next target.

When shooting the cutting edge and even the LRX. Make sure to shoot them out past 500-600 yards. We've seen them start to tumble.
It's a heck of a surprise when they shoot sub MOA out to 4-5 hundred and all of a sudden they are hitting the steel sideways with huge groups at the next target.

Hmm that's odd. I will for sure test them thoroughly before hunting with them. Any idea why they do that?

My cousin shoots the gs customs and they do well, so I'm also open to those. I have a bit of time before season to do testing, for now I'm going to have some fun with the elds!

Hmm that's odd. I will for sure test them thoroughly before hunting with them. Any idea why they do that?

My cousin shoots the gs customs and they do well, so I'm also open to those. I have a bit of time before season to do testing, for now I'm going to have some fun with the elds!

Not for sure but probably twist rate.
But the Berger and the ELD'X's have the same twist rate recommendations and shoot sub MOA out to 1,000.

Not for sure but probably twist rate.
But the Berger and the ELD'X's have the same twist rate recommendations and shoot sub MOA out to 1,000.

Makes sense. My gunsmith said that a 1:7 should stabilize the cutting edge and gs customs better then a 1:8. I'll try to remember to report back on it when I test the bullets

7a722394c5eae3b70ff9f8914287e311.jpg

She's done

She's done ????? That's it ? No info ?
What action barrel trigger stock scope weight ??? It's like you left us hanging in suspense.
Show a pic of a group.

Gun tease!!!!!

Is the match location sandy or muddy? Damn forcast is ugly @TaftHunter

She's done ????? That's it ? No info ?
What action barrel trigger stock scope weight ??? It's like you left us hanging in suspense.
Show a pic of a group.

Okay. Rem 700 Long Action, #4 Hart 26", Timney trigger, vortex hslr 4-16x44, weighs right around 9 lbs with out the bipod. I got 4 groups under 1/2 inch, but the shooting conditions were very less then ideal. I'm going to load some up and shoot some 5 shot groups this week and lost up a pic.

Very Nice Garrett. You have put together a handsome build. You are going to love the 6.5 and you picked a good one!

Food for thought - The increased twist rate comes with several byproducts. Increased BC and increased pressure. So when loading copper projectiles, do so with caution.

Another thing that helps with BC and bullet stability is velocity. One reason the Saum and Norma can get away with the slower twist barrels. I think if Darryl was shooting an 8 twist he would not see the Barnes wobble at distance.

Check out the Hammer bullets. The may solve some challenges you are likely to encounter with the Cutting Edge bullets.

Click on link: Hammer Bullets

When do we see some one hole groups?

It's been storming pretty bad over here lately and haven't really had the chance to shoot any more groups. I went to shoot some long range today, this is a group I shot off my bipod prone, I was just adjusting my zero before I stretched it out and figured I would shoot a quick 3 shot group, it's not 1 hole but I'll take it.

45d68f3e5465759145e18387bffb6bfa.jpg

I don't have photo proof, but I did shoot a 3" 3 consecutive shot group at 800 yards.
Over all the gun shot amazing, it can definitely shoot better then I can.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu