New Favorite Season - Rabbit

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Out before 4am this morning (very warm morning at 81 degrees). Met SurfNHunt and he delivered on the rabbits.
It is my new favorite season. Fast action, good exercise, great back country, and the meat can be marinated so many different delicious ways.

Get out there everyone and enjoy this season (or consider it warming up for the Fall Seasons - waterfowl/deer).

I'm not going to post the results from today but will post a monthly total at the end of July.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    950.6 KB · Views: 32
OK Dan.....................I will ....................lol

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    764.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 30
d0ab0646cc5146127a5c4522f753034a.jpg

Didn't get a limit of bunnies (came close) so I didn't feel like posting dead rabbit pics. But one of the bunnies was full of warbles! Nasty suckers.

Just a word to the wise: I've seen several posts today of folks handling rabbits with bare hands. Tularemia is a genuine threat. Use gloves. I always hunt rabbits with leather work gloves. I use the squeeze method to gut them and put the bunnies in a bag. I use latex gloves when skinning and butchering the raw meat. Again, this is just a word of caution: I know lots of you have done this for years with bare hands...

Sounds like a fun hunt. We're you hunting the edge of alfalfa fields? Some of those IV rabbits are so well fed, the things are like little chickens. Way to take on the heat and produce some game.

X2 I keep use latex gloves cleaning my rabitts, plus when I don't I can't get that rabbit smell off. I also take one of those 5 gallon camping jugs with me to wash the rabbit and hands. Just makes it easier.

Drew, I hunted CNF land, working the sagebrush and dead fall trees to flush em out (shotgun). Working the edges with a rifle doesn't work as well in this spot as it does in the IV.. they seem to tuck into the thick stuff early. And yep, I do the same thing with cleaning.. I also use latex gloves and bring a water container to rinse em after. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu