New guy really needs some help!!

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey gang,
So I'm very new to San Diego (two weeks now) and have been trying like crazy to figure out how all this deer hunting draws, tags, premium, restricted, 2 deer tags per season, rifle, archery, doe only stuff works?!?! I've read previous posts on here and even drove out to the DFG office on Ruffin St and am now more confused than ever! The guy at the DFG office was useless and you all seem to have this stuff down really well so I was hoping to get a little help from you seasoned vets for my first go around.
I generally hunt archery, but I do have a rifle that I like to bring out from time to time.. Is it possible to hunt one deer tag rifle and one archery? Also it looks like my closest opportunity is in the D-16 unit, but I'd like to start the points process for some other (better quality draw units) I don't mind traveling wherever those would be either..
I'm confused about AO hunts as well?
If anyone can just give me a few good options and how to's to throw down on my application this year it would really help me out! I'm honestly just looking to get out and do some hunting this first year and learn the lay of the land.. I feel like I don't have much time to research until the deadlines this year so any help, advise, insite would be so greatly appreciated!! Thanks much!

Tbob,

Welcome to SCH.......Let's start with an AO tag.......You can get it at anytime and it's "archery only" in any of the SoCal D zones including D-16......A D-16 tag can be bought over the counter as well. I haven't seen the new format, but historically you could buy 2 D-16 tags......You can use one in the archery portion & one in the rifle, if you want.......To start to get points, you can put in for say, G-3 (Goodale Hunt) 1st choice, A-22 (archery San Diego, either sex) 2nd choice, and a D-16, 3rd choice......Lots of combos......Go on line and read the new regs and deer choices......Good luck.

Reactions: encore90230
Like Steve said.....
Archery
A22 is San Diego archery either sex. It goes from sept.-end of the year......it was open till feb but that's long ago...
Or AO and that's archery buck only in zones A, B or D zones during the general "rifle" season only.
D16 is buck only it has an short early archery season then it's rifle during the general season but you can use your bow during rifle.

Now your first choice on your first tag takes the points in the first round of the draw second choice takes no points nor does the third choice.

What I would do is first tag first choice get a point, second choice A22. Second deer tag get a D16
You'll walk out with the D16 & in the draw you'll get a point and A22 tag.....that gives you Sept-Decenber to hunt deer in SD

Reactions: Dover and Goyaałé
MJB said:
No biggie......good luck in NM and watch out for the F&G road blocks

Nothing to hide......This trip is just as much about fishing and exploring Geronimo country as it is turkey hunting......Found some cool artifacts last time here.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/expect-roadblocks-statewide-during-hunting-seasons-2/

I was checked once and the road block just popped up without warning and a few people almost ran into us....

Thanks guys very much! Definitely helps! Thanks for the PM's as well!!! Really appreciate the helpful group here !!

There are really a lot of options. In California much of the drawing/applications and processing has been do by this time and I am not as versed in the availability here in Cali. Where I am strongly versed is many Cali hunters also go out of state because it is difficult to hunt every year in Cali. I have hunts available in all the states around Cali which allow you to hunt there every year as long as you can get in before the draw deadlines. For example I have hunts in Wyoming for good mule Deer for only $1695 with a 3 week window of when you hunt a guided hunt on private land. The key is to sign up before the end of May, when the Wyoming License application deadline is. I also have antelope hunts for a little over half that price. All running a 99.9% success rate. Simply put if you can shoot, you will take home meat!
If you want Colorado I have hunts for elk at only $1695 s-Guided 20,000 acres of Private land. In Utah I have a Mule deer hunt that the $2500 voucher is given away free with the hunt.
I don't know how long you have to be in Cali to buy a resident license, I will let some one else give you that also.
I like to see that everyone has every option possible to hunt and shoot as much as possible, any of the 40 game animals in all 50 states and Canada.
If you need more help get with me Greg Merriam and I also have a Vendor forum below called Discounted Hunts.
Enjoy hunting, enjoy life, enjoy hunting the rest of your life.
Greg Merraim

Attachments

• ERICLayman-Velvet-Mule-Deer-400x400.jpg
    ERICLayman-Velvet-Mule-Deer-400x400.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Dave Elk-1202.JPG
    Dave Elk-1202.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 26

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu